Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Insurance > How could I lower my motorcycle insurance?

How could I lower my motorcycle insurance?

This is a discussion on How could I lower my motorcycle insurance? within the Motorcycle Insurance forums, part of the General category; I looked over some of the things that insurance companies look for in giving deductibles and so far i came ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008   #1

Default How could I lower my motorcycle insurance?

I looked over some of the things that insurance companies look for in giving deductibles and so far i came up with things like:1. alarms, security devices, etc.2. lower amount cost of accident coverage3. rider training coursesim 24, and i heard insurance rates go down after you turn 25 but i'm not sure if this applies to motorcycles also. i don't make too much at my job (min. wage) so i need the lowest rate i can get. what else can i do to bring it down???
indef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #2

Sell it!
Janet K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3

There are a few different ways. First thing is check your coverages. As much as I hate to recommend lowering them, make sure you aren't over insured. Also, check different companies. Find out if there is a discount if you have renters insurance with them. Most companies discount for having renters insurance is more than the cost of the policy. Sit down and talk to your agent, or a competiting agent. Bring in a copy of your dec page and see if they will give you a quote and what recommendations they would give.
buttrfly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #4

You can try increasing your deductable to up to $1000 - this will lower the monthly payments but that would not be in ur benefit if you do crash.Also some insurances give you a discount if you have taken an MSF course.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #5

switch to geico lol just kidding but i do believe that it does apply to motocycles too and should go down as soon as you turn 25
melissa6950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #6

Get a motorcycle license. The smaller the engine the lower the rate but the grater the risk of getting hurt is on a smaller bike. The insurance company don't care about you, they worry about the damage you cause that they have to pay for in an accident. The county will scoop up your remains off the pavement and bill your family. Your medical bills are on you. A car is a better bet.
johnnyrodrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #7

get another type of bike , like cars, the type of bike also raises insurance, croitch rocket vs cruiser.get a old, old used bike, cost less to replace them.look at other ins companys, I dont want to tell you (like advertise) however their are 2 very large ins companys that have given me and others insurance for less then 1/4 of what i paid at a company i had for 15 years, with no accidents or tickets...shop around !
rockbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #8

I work in motorcycle insurance. There are lots of factors that influence your price. One is whether or not you have coverage for the bike. Depending on the value of your bike, it may not be worth having coverage for theft,vandalism,fire,falling objects, and collision. You do not have to cover the bike unless it is financed (and even then not always, depends on the company). In most states you are required to insure for liability in case you are at fault in an accident. I would suggest that you have at least enough to cover your assets (home,car,etc) for the liability limit. Enough to cover your a** if someone sews you. The cheapest thing to increase coverage on is your liability in most cases. Other things that affect price include credit (depending on the state),age,experience,whether or not you've taken a motorcycle course,if you have ABS or anti-theft,other operators if you're not the only one,even location where the bike will be used and stored on a regular basis.

Last edited by FAITHBIKER; 01-19-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Addition
FAITHBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #9

Its better to sell it instead of keeping for long time. you can also take suggestions from someone who is doing this from long time.