Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Insurance > moped / scooter riders who are you with? how much you paying?

moped / scooter riders who are you with? how much you paying?

This is a discussion on moped / scooter riders who are you with? how much you paying? within the Motorcycle Insurance forums, part of the General category; my friend's little brother wants to get his M2 next summer, who are you moped / scooter riders insured with? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008   #1

Default moped / scooter riders who are you with? how much you paying?

my friend's little brother wants to get his M2 next summer, who are you moped / scooter riders insured with? please post some sample rates with age / driving record / etc.

He'll be 16/m/tomos 50cc moped
Wallstreeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #2

Wife was paying $340/year State farm, full coverage

25 Years old
2006 Yamaha BWS50
M1
LARRY W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #3

my friend's little brother wants to get his M2 next summer, who are you moped / scooter riders insured with? please post some sample rates with age / driving record / etc.

He'll be 16/m/tomos 50cc moped

Just FYI, unless your friend's little brother takes his M1 exit test on a normal bike (or perhaps takes the rider training course), he would be getting his LM2 motorcycle license. This is a new restricted class of license created by the MTO for limited-speed motorcycles. If you have an LM2, you cannot ride a normal bike unless you re-take the M1 exit test with a normal bike.

With regards to insurance, I don't think it will be as cheap to insure the moped as you would hope. Being 16 years old with no insurance history will make it tough to find affordable insurance, especially if it is going to be a stand-alone moped policy with no supporting Auto.

Just a heads up.

Cheers!
technicanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #4

yup already warned him about it told him to take the regular motorcycle course from RTI that way when he wants to upgrade to a bigger bike later on he doesn't have to upgrade his license. Called John Duffy and the best quote they gave me was $1146/year....for 49cc tomo's moped haha goodness thats expensive
Old 03-23-2008   #5

yup already warned him about it told him to take the regular motorcycle course from RTI that way when he wants to upgrade to a bigger bike later on he doesn't have to upgrade his license. Called John Duffy and the best quote they gave me was $1146/year....for 49cc tomo's moped haha goodness thats expensive

Yes, that is quite pricey :S

Try finding a local broker who deals with Wawanesa Insurance and get an insurance quote through them. If I remember correctly, Wawanesa has some pretty good rates for mopeds.

http://www.wawanesa.com/insure_fbroker.asp

Cheers!
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #6

i'm with state farm..well it's under my dad a 2005 yamaha bws50. i think it's only 22 a month for all 4 members in the house to drive it. only my dad and i actually ride it though.
spiketires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #7

i'm with state farm..well it's under my dad a 2005 yamaha bws50. i think it's only 22 a month for all 4 members in the house to drive it. only my dad and i actually ride it though.

This isn't really comparable, because the insurance is under your Dad's name. State Farm is only cheap for people who have been licensed for 5 years. The original poster is talking about insuring a 16 year old . . .

Cheers!
ammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #8
pea

my car is with wawanesa and they told me they don't insure bikes.

I'm 30 with clean driving record for 10 years and 1st year riding.

I have both my 50cc tomos moped and 250cc scooter insured with State Farm at $400 and $450/year respectively.
pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #9

$50 difference for a 200cc?! that suck...major
Old 03-26-2008   #10

my car is with wawanesa and they told me they don't insure bikes.

I'm 30 with clean driving record for 10 years and 1st year riding.

I have both my 50cc tomos moped and 250cc scooter insured with State Farm at $400 and $450/year respectively.

I don't know who your broker is, but they are wrong; I know for a fact that Wawanesa insures both motorcycles and scooters/mopeds. In fact, their rates on Scooters used to be REALLY great until a recent rate review in June 2008. I had my VFR750 motorcycle insured with Wawanesa until just a couple of months ago when I switched to State Farm.

Cheers!
brian l is offline   Reply With Quote