Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > YZ > How can I get more speed from my YZ125?

How can I get more speed from my YZ125?

This is a discussion on How can I get more speed from my YZ125? within the YZ forums, part of the Yamaha category; I've got a 05 YZ 125 stock which I've always been faster then my friend who ride trail bikes and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008   #1

Default How can I get more speed from my YZ125?

I've got a 05 YZ 125 stock which I've always been faster then my friend who ride trail bikes and now he is getting a kawasaki 250f which he thinks will outrun my bike and right now im not sure either so whats the cheapest ways to improve power the cheapest ways first with ways to improve power without going over 200$ for each way
Josh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #2

try and move a few teeth on the rear sprocket...a new one should only be about 40 bucks and it is simple to replace...you will loose torque, but you can gaain a load of top end
michael g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #3

1.add a few teeth to the front drive sprocket or reduce the rear 5-8 teeth you lose torque but gain top speed2.rejet or replace (bigger)your carb and get a green sponge type aircleaner and velocity stack adapter3.next get a free flow exaust pipeitems 2 and 3 should be done together or you wont get any better performance4 hi top piston increases compression5 remove cylinder base gasket and use gasgacinch sealerthis lowers your barell increasing compression5. flow your head6 run high test gas and add race gas
cheyenne95129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #4

larger the sprocket the slower the bike will take to pull off however u will get faster speeds on the top-end ,the smaller the sprocket the faster the bike will pull off but the top-end wont be as fast. try using a bigger caberator and use a free flow exhaust i my self prefer to use a super trap exhaust,take of all the dead weight from the bike use a plastic tank instead of the metal one and for the kicker if u are really racing this bike and u really want to race fast don't use gas its too heavy and it takes longer to burn try some benzine in your thank but if u are not an experienced rider do not use benzine it puts a hell of a kick in your bike what u can do is mix the benzine with the gas with these u will definately win the race .remember your bike is a 125 your friend is buying a 250 on a straight run u wont be able to beat him but if u are running a trail use a small sprocket for faster acceleration and u can beat him another thing u can do is bore over your barrel and buy a larger piston and rings do not over do the boring because if u bore the barrel too much all your bike will do is suck gas, boring over should be left to the professionals,if i were u i wont do any of those what i would do is look for a 250 engine and load that baby on my bike make sure the bolting up is the same as your bike frame and beat him head to head my uncle is a master with bikes he once took a Honda choppy 50 cc and sup this baby up to a run like a 125 our choppy was the fastest in the country until we sold it,right now he is working on a 250 shadow,and a 750 African-twin, a damn 750 i don't want to know how fast that baby will run on the track.
Defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #5

change your sprocket sizes ,like 2teeth bigger on front gives you more speed but bigger on back gives you more torq ask your parts store witch is best for your style...&allways remember LOUD PIPES saves lives..
swoogydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #6

Cheapest way is to let your friend who is going to get 250F SIT AT HOME WHEN YOU ARE ON THE GO !!!!!!!! for these kind of bikes, there is no cheap way to improve performance and that too not for less than $200
vasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #7
XYZ

You're not going to improve your power for $200 and my guess is that you have no need for more power other than bragging rights. Yes a 250F, any 250F, is going to be faster than your 125...so what. They are motocross bikes, it's the best rider that turns the fastest lap not the fastest bike. Who gives a crap if your friends new bike can beat yours in a drag race, that's not what they were intended for. I ride a 250F and I've smoked guys on 450's, I've also been smoked by guys on 125's. Spend less time worrying about how fast your bike is and concentrate on how fast you are. ------
XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote