Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki > RM > jr 50 1999 suzuki

jr 50 1999 suzuki

This is a discussion on jr 50 1999 suzuki within the RM forums, part of the Suzuki category; I have 80#s compression on my sons jr 50.. I know thats not good and it bearly runs .. my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011   #1

Red face jr 50 1999 suzuki

I have 80#s compression on my sons jr 50.. I know thats not good and it bearly runs .. my question is if anybody knows and would be so kind to tell me if I can hone the jug and put in a bigger piston or do I HAVE TO GET A NEW JUG..or whats the cheapest way out ... hes probably only going to be riding this for a year and then need something bigger , so I don't want to break the bank fixing it.. I would be very greatful for any input I can get .. thanx...mark
72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #2

Well, the good news is you probably will not need a new jug. suzuki makes a couple of oversized pison and rings. Assuming that it has not been bored you have quite a bit of life left in the bike. Cylinder is probably out of round due to wear. After you disassemble top end, take the rings off of the piston carefully. Put the rings in the cylinder and push about half way down the bore with the piston to square the rings in the bore. Hold the cylinder up to the light and you will probably see light somewhere between the rings and the cylinder indicating out of round. This is also the time when you measure the ring end gap with a feeler gauge to see how it compares to specs. Only cure to restore is to have it bored to the next oversize (OS). Which OS depends on how much wear there is. Please keep in mind that most wear occurs from foreign material in the cylinder. Usually from lack of maintenance on the air filter. Can also be introduced through the fuel or poorly fitting air box to carb connection. Sometimes through the throttle cable into the top of the carb. All that said, it is a two stroke and changing rings should be considered a maintenance item.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #3

cool.. thats very good news..I took it back part tonight and found broken rings.... I think I may have broken them when I just trew dem in last time.. ( I'm tryin).. anyway thank so much for that very useful info.. so I guess its off to the zuker shop tomorrow.luckely the rings stayed in place and didn't score the wall too bad..I hope it don't cost too much to get it bored.. and I think I'll take the exaust pipe too and get it acid dipped..and hopefully junior can ride this thing next week.. .. .. these forums are great.. arent't they?
72nova is offline   Reply With Quote