Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Kawasaki > KX > New owner of 1996 KX80 with engine questions

New owner of 1996 KX80 with engine questions

This is a discussion on New owner of 1996 KX80 with engine questions within the KX forums, part of the Kawasaki category; I am the very proud owner of a new (to me) '96 kx80. It is a nice looking little bike, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010   #1

Default New owner of 1996 KX80 with engine questions

I am the very proud owner of a new (to me) '96 kx80. It is a nice looking little bike, and other than some cosmetic items, it just needs a top end including the cylinder, cylinder head, pistons and rings and a pipe to get it running.

The block is all there and the connecting rod is sticking out awaiting a new piston, wrist pin and cylinder. The crank and rod readily rotate and there is an oily watery, rather smelly mix coating it, but I guess that is good that it is rotating freely and lubed up even if a bit dirty. The connecting rod appears really straight with just a bit of what appears to be surface rust.

My question is regarding the viability of the engine case (bottom end) itself. I would like to describe the block (and post pics if necessary) to get your expert feedback on whether it is a useable base.

To begin, the outer surfaces where the block would meet the cylinder head (if I had one) are true and flat. However, the inboard crankcase surfaces, where the rod is closest to, have what appears to be a bit of scoring from what I presume to be past rod to case contact. Again, the rod itself is arrow straight with no corresponding marks, so I am not for certain if what I am looking at is from a slight bit of rod to case contact or is just part of the factory maching of the crankcase. A previous owner could also have replaced the rod, but I have no way of knowing that so I have to assume it is the original rod.

From this description, is this block usable? I would like to think that all I have to do is find myself a topend and pipe and then once I put it back together, away I go riding, but I don't want to purchase a new top end only to find that once I get it all back together the thing doesn't run right if at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I am a KX newbie. Let me know if I need to post pics and I'll try to do this. The last (and only other) bike I had was a 1979 YZ 125 back around 1984!

I really appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks,
Ted
fl59bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010   #2

i would just replace that part if possibale but if not then it may be ok dependin on the scoring and may be ok but their is only 1 way to find out and that is to try it but that then inturn may cost you more mony than just replacing that part
jamster250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #3

i would probly just flush out the bottum end with nice cleand oil and if the crank sprinns nice and freeley i would run it
Longfellow0099 is offline   Reply With Quote