Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Kawasaki > KX > PROBLEM WITH KAWASAKI KX80 ENGINE HELP THE MOTOR CASE need a motorcycle mechanic?

PROBLEM WITH KAWASAKI KX80 ENGINE HELP THE MOTOR CASE need a motorcycle mechanic?

This is a discussion on PROBLEM WITH KAWASAKI KX80 ENGINE HELP THE MOTOR CASE need a motorcycle mechanic? within the KX forums, part of the Kawasaki category; i have a 1997 kawasaki kx80 i just put a new piston inwhen i was bolting the left case cover ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008   #1

Default PROBLEM WITH KAWASAKI KX80 ENGINE HELP THE MOTOR CASE need a motorcycle mechanic?

i have a 1997 kawasaki kx80 i just put a new piston inwhen i was bolting the left case cover clutch coverit cracked i think its the shifter shaft its sticking to far out and when i bolted it on it pushed up on the case any idea what happened i need help
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #2

Without personal inspection, you'll have to back track your work, to see what was out of place.
guardrailjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #3
pmk

hmmm... well if just putting in a piston kit, I am curious as to why you also had the case cover off... these little engines are pretty simple until you start diving into the lower portions...so, with that said, look at this link http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...1997/o/m3918to better determine exactly what area you are having issues with... need a bit more info ...===edit, see my reply email ... seriously, buy a manual for the bike, it will really help you learn where to go and what to do
pmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #4

cracking the case while putting in a top end???the shifter shaft sticking out too far? how deep did you go into the engine?seems there might be more issues than just replacing a piston...
KaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #5

take the bike to the kawasaki dealer and let them fix it before you screw it up any more.
racefanwfo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #6

As this is a 3 year old post it wont be much help to original poster but may help someone else with same problem as crackin the case is easy if your not careful and seat shift drum properly before installing clutch side cover. i ran into the same problem while overhauling my sons 91 kx80. i didnt have the shift drum seated completely and it cracked the case. what i did to repair was place the case in the oven and heated it to around 200. i took jb weld and mixed it as directed then applied to the inside of the case. i then placed back in the oven and heated til i could notice the jb weld seeping through to the front of the case. take out of oven and let cool thoroughly. repeat procedure for the outside of the case. i did this 2 years ago and have had no problems at all, not even oil seepage.
bvaughn39 is offline   Reply With Quote