Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > FZ1 > Why can't I downshift sometimes?

Why can't I downshift sometimes?

This is a discussion on Why can't I downshift sometimes? within the FZ1 forums, part of the Yamaha category; Sometimes when I downshift, I cannot reach the lower gears without letting the clutch out a little until it engages, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008   #1

Default Why can't I downshift sometimes?

Sometimes when I downshift, I cannot reach the lower gears without letting the clutch out a little until it engages, then I can down shift one gear. I have to let the clutch out a bit for each additional gear I want to downshift. It seems like it happens most when I slow down quickly.This has happened on every bike I have ever owned, and now it is happening on my Yamaha FZ1 which has less than 200 miles on it.I really want to know technically what is preventing me from downshifting, and if there is any adjustment I can make to relieve this issue.Thank you very much.I guess I did not explain myself very well. I have had bikes all my life and have had htis problem with all the bikes. My FJR1300 did it the least, but this FZ1 does it two or three times each ride. It seems to happen the most when slowing down quickly. I will be downshifting correctly using the clutch, but then some of the lower gears cannot be reached because when I press on the gear shift lever nothing happens. If I let out the clutch just a little bit, then the gear clunks into place with my foot off of the gear shift. Then I can downshift it one gear, but then I can't go any further until I take my foot off the shift lever and let the clutch out a little bit again.I really think all bikes do this to some extent because I have heard other people talk about it too.So bascially the problem is that while rapidly slowing down and downshifting using the clutch and gear shifter, sometimes pressing the gear shift down does not result in the gear shifting.
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #2

Most transmissions when new take a bit to break in, but it sounds like your skipping gears when downshifting. (like going from 5th to 3rd without letting the clutch out in between)I would say just downshift each gear and let the clutch out...the bike is still new and if you haven't yet change the oil. ------
Kyle S is offline   Reply With Quote