Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > FZ6 > It's time to ride! Good bike to start with? Suggestions?

It's time to ride! Good bike to start with? Suggestions?

This is a discussion on It's time to ride! Good bike to start with? Suggestions? within the FZ6 forums, part of the Yamaha category; Specs: I'm a female, 5'6", 150 lbs, pretty strong for a chick, soon to be motorcyclist. My husband just bought ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008   #1

Default It's time to ride! Good bike to start with? Suggestions?

Specs: I'm a female, 5'6", 150 lbs, pretty strong for a chick, soon to be motorcyclist. My husband just bought me my"learner"bike, a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, so far I'm doing pretty well. I plan on learning on that bike for about a year (I also plan to take the MSF beginner course), and in a year's time I hope to buy a"big girl"bike. I'm looking at a Yamaha FZ6. ( http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...3/0/specs.aspx ) Kind of in the middle of sport and cruiser, not to big (600cc, 410lbs), and good looking. Do you believe this bike would be a good first purchase? Is there another you recommend? But to let you know I am partial to Yamaha. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.I'm a 23 year old female so in maturity age I'm like a 40 year old male.
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #2

Going from a 125 to a 600CC bike will be a huge increase in power, especially for a light rider. If you make this jump, take a long, long time to get used to the bike before you try to really get on the power, or you'll be sliding down the road flat on your back, and watching your bike pinwheel across the pavement. It will wheelie right out from under you...You might consider getting something in between, and riding that for awhile. Maybe a used bike in the range of 350-400 CC? That way, you can sell it after awhile, and not take such a beating on the depreciation. Or you can keep it, and have a spare bike.Be sure you've got great leathers before you try riding a bigger bike, and an even better helmet. Remember the rule about helmets - put a $10 helmet on a $10 head.
Ralfcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #3

Depends on your age. If you are imature you probably are going to grab a lot of throtle and it will get away from you. You should take another season with this bike, or don't jump so high on the displacement. Try an old mid 80's 450 or 500 they aren't going to break the bank and you will get a similar power/weight. ------
James D is offline   Reply With Quote