Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Kawasaki > Ninja 250 > What kind of beginners motorcycle should i start out with? Ninja 250? suzuki katana ?

What kind of beginners motorcycle should i start out with? Ninja 250? suzuki katana ?

This is a discussion on What kind of beginners motorcycle should i start out with? Ninja 250? suzuki katana ? within the Ninja 250 forums, part of the Kawasaki category; I'm 16 almost 17 years old. Looking to buy a bike so i can drive it to school and work. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008   #1

Default What kind of beginners motorcycle should i start out with? Ninja 250? suzuki katana ?

I'm 16 almost 17 years old. Looking to buy a bike so i can drive it to school and work. This would be my 1st bike. Many people told me get a ninja 250 and there nice bikes but can they handle the highway? I would be going 60-70 mph. Would i be shaking around if wind its me? Someone said a suzuki katana...? Looking to spend $3500 but mainly wanna spend under $2500 on a used motorcycle. I weight 150lbs and Im 5-9. Please tell me reason for what your saying
Jeff S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #2

>>Many people told me get a ninja 250 and there nice bikes but can they handle the highway? I would be going 60-70 mph.The Ninja 250 can go 110 mph. it is the king of 250 class motorcycles. Most other 250cc class (especially at $3000 range) will top out at 70 mph MAX.Yes it will be thrown around at high speed. But any light bikes will do so. But as a beginner you need something light.good Luck...
Lover not a Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #3

I say Ninja 250 since its average class in its bench............
raj k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #4

I personally like the Honda Rebel 250. I suggest you go down and try them out...at least sit on them and see how they feel and then go from there.Take a motorcycle safety course!! :-) and have funnnOh with your size, they can certainly handle on the highway. But you will probably want something bigger soon.For larger bikes, I prefer the Sportster low (cause I'm short). But the Shadow Aero is not bad..I didn't like the feel of it , gas tank too wide and the weight didn't seem distributed right to me.So, maybe go check out some of the larger 650, 800 bikes? But I think you'd be fine on the Rebel until you get a bit of riding under your belt. Personally , I'd skip the middle ones and go Rebel then Sporty :)
queenieski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #5

The Ninja 250 is consistently rated as one of the best beginner bikes around. It can handle the highway, but it will be tossed a bit, as will any other bike. I wouldn't recommend riding on the highway any time soon; you need to get a strong feel for the bike before you try the highway.Another option would be the slightly larger Ninja 500R (older models are called the EX500). Still a good beginner bike, but a little more substantial. Try a few different bikes and see what feels comfortable. Fell will be among the most important factors. You need to feel comfortable and secure on a bike. Good luck!
tcraw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #6

Ninja 250 is the one to go with. There a lot of fun, not too fast, handle great, and if I was 17, I'd be all over it. You will get tired of it though, and will be ready to step up to a 600 in less than 3 months, guaranteed. But yes, for a very first bike, go with the Ninja 250. Don't lay it down, so when it comes time to sell, you'll get practically what you paid for it..since they're (I was told) hard to get these days. ------
Dan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #7

250R is fine the 500R wouldn't be bad either. ------
YZF750R is offline   Reply With Quote