Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Boots > questions about boots

questions about boots

This is a discussion on questions about boots within the Boots forums, part of the Gear category; I've got a few questions about motorcycle boots for you all. So far I've just been wearing a pair of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006   #1

Default questions about boots

I've got a few questions about motorcycle boots for you all. So far I've just been wearing a pair of lace-up, steel-toe work boots, but I'm considering buying one of these two models of Double-H boots:

10" Ranch Wellington (#2559, pic at http://www.doublehboots.com/mens-col...n.asp?catid=59)

10" Harness (#4008, pic at http://www.doublehboots.com/mens-col...n.asp?catid=65)

If anyone has worn these boots, I've got a couple of questions for you.

First, the outsole description for #2559 reads "superior resistance to oil,"
whereas the outsole description for the #4008 reads "superior resistance to oil" PLUS "excellent slip resistance." In your experience is the #4008 model MORE slip-resistant than the #2559? Or does oil resistance pretty much equal slip resistance?

Second, is there any real advantage to getting a steel toe in a riding boot?

I'd also love to hear your general opinions on the quality/durability of these boots.

Cheers,
Drew
yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2

You should get a purpose-built motorcycle boot. They do things like help protect your ankles from being crushed if you lowside and the bike ends up on your leg.

And there really isn't an advantage I can think of to having a steel-toed riding boot, or more of them would have them, I think.
irepocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #3

Personal Opinion: Steel toes lessen the feel of the shift for me...I don't like it.
I wore combat boots during the summer and I'm wearing a Frank Thomas motorcycle boots from Cyclegear right now for winter. I like the zipper and velcro of the motorcycle boots, but I prefer the combat boots for traction and feel. As for protection, they are comparable where it counts (soles, tops, ankles, etc.).
FACAS L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #4

Im moving this into opinions/reviews
Gary K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #5

I find that using steel toes cause your toes to get colder in the winter while riding.
But they would take much longer to ware through in a dragging situation.
thumbs down for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #6

I don't see anything wrong with either of your choices. I sometimes wear the ST harness boots, when I have to have em at work. Normally wear lace up combat type. Even my western boots on occasion. As long as your getting some ankle/foot protection and you can brake/shift.
cam s is offline   Reply With Quote