Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Boots > Is it really necessary to wear leather pants and boots for a motorcycle?

Is it really necessary to wear leather pants and boots for a motorcycle?

This is a discussion on Is it really necessary to wear leather pants and boots for a motorcycle? within the Boots forums, part of the Gear category; I know that I will wear a helmet and a leather jacket with protection. However, I do not know if ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008   #1

Default Is it really necessary to wear leather pants and boots for a motorcycle?

I know that I will wear a helmet and a leather jacket with protection. However, I do not know if I should but a leather pants and boots for motorcycle gear. If you think it is essential please try to convince me.
Daniel Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #2

NO.. not essential.. strong jeans&good shoes are OK..helmet ,Jacket&gloves are essential..
easygoing157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #3

The leather is only essential for protection in the event of an accident but likewise, a strong pair of jeans and regular shoes will do. The helmet and leather jacket are a must though.
stacichu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #4

Not essential, the full leathers sort of developed from professional racers and others who pushed the envelope far enough to expect trouble. Nothing like a nice thick layer of cow hide between you and the road to prevent what else but a nasty case of road rash.At the minimum a full face helmet and stout pair of boots should be worn. No need to explain the need for the helmet but you never know when good ankle support or heavy duty footwear might come in handy. I'm not talking steel toed engineer boots but you want to wear something on you feet that won't fly off or easily abrade through in the event of trouble.
halsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #5

Some leathers for your legs do more than just protect you in a wreck. They protect you from all of the crap that you get hit with. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip on my bike and I'm plenty glad I was wearing my chaps. They got hammered with grasshoppers, but I didn't feel a thing. Leather chaps are going to run you less than your leather jacket if you shop around, and it's money well spent.
justin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #6

No notnecessary as in ...Its'the law...But smart as in...increased protection for you in the event of an accident, even a minr one. Road rash is not pretty/not comfortable and completley avoidbale if you have proper attire. Head on crashes at 70 miles an hour sort of eliminates any worth to any protective clothiing/gear on the market , but anoccurrence where you put the scoot down due to taking a corner too hot or slippery road conditions or anything of that sort, a good pair of leathers will make the world of idfference between pain and abrasion.....
harley MIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #7

Sorry, must call BS on the"strong pair of jeans"remarks.Denim vs. pavement? NO contest. Won't last three feet.Necessary? No. Smart? Yes. Leather is best. I ride in Louisiana...all year, so I wear textiles which aren't as good, but are better than denim.But part of the joy in riding is being free. So weigh your options. Riding style, experience, weather. Choose for yourself. But the safest thing? ATGATT -all the gear, all the time ------
chris b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #8

Not essential, I wear Cordura as it's waterproof to a certain degree, comfortable and with padding and armour I get some protection. At the end of the day leather,Cordura, gortex etc won't save you if a vehicle hits you, they simply save your skin should you slide on floor. ------
Derran G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #9

If you like the jeans look, get Draggin'jeans or a similar brand. These are lined with kevlar and will protect you if you go down. link below or just google kevlar jeans. ------
clasqm is offline   Reply With Quote