Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Boots > Riding Boots

Riding Boots

This is a discussion on Riding Boots within the Boots forums, part of the Gear category; I'm new to riding... I had purchased a pair of steel toe hiking boots about a year ago when I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006   #1

Default Riding Boots

I'm new to riding... I had purchased a pair of steel toe hiking boots about a year ago when I went geocaching in the mud and muck a lot and so I've been wearing those to ride my bike. They offer great ankle protection, but they're big and heavy (and they seem really tall at the toe area/ possibly because of the steel toe)...

Anyways - Most riders I've heard from have always talked about riding in their service boots from the Army, Navy, etc... That there is "nothing more comfortable" than them!

We've got 2 Army surplus stores in my tiny little hometown... So I went shopping this morning. $52.95 later, I was walking out with a great looking set of boots.

I haven't got to ride the bike today yet because of rain this morning... But I'm going to try a jaunt this afternoon when I'm done with work.

Anyone else ride in their service boots? I'm hoping that'll end up working good for me. :)
dahlenpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #2

Default Riding Boots

I almost bought a pair of army boots for my riding boots but then a buddy sold me a pair of brand new harley boots that had been sitting in his closet for $50. I spent a few years in the military but I got rid of all of my gear after I got out (I'm still kicking myself for that mistake). I'd say that a pair of army boots would serve you well as riding boots but my HD boots are every bit as comfortable. Motorcycle boots are just easier to slip on and off. That might make a difference someday if you ever lay your bike down on your foot and the sole gets stuck so that you can't pull it out.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #3

Default Riding Boots

I would love to find a decent pair of zip up boots instead of having to tie.

I wear clogs when I'm not riding... Except for work when I wear a slip in dress shoe. Before riding, I couldn't tell you the last time I had to actually tie my shoes! :P

But I think these will be just fine for right now. They take a little getting used to and I'm trying to break them in... So, we'll see how it goes.
dahlenpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #4

Default Riding Boots

Simon, check out "Cheaper Than Dirt". They have tons of military surplus, and I know I've seen zip-up combat boots in their catalog.
sp s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006   #5

Default Riding Boots

I have 2 pair of boots now, both the same brand. I have a pair of low Vega touring type lace up boots I bought off chromekid01's Ebay store and a pair of high zip up Vega boots I bought off Ebay also. I paid less that $60 for either pair and I'm impressed with the quality of both pair. The low ones go good with jeans and the high ones go good with riding pants.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote