Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Boots > Street Boots vs. Cruiser Boots vs. MX Boots vs. Military Boots

Street Boots vs. Cruiser Boots vs. MX Boots vs. Military Boots

This is a discussion on Street Boots vs. Cruiser Boots vs. MX Boots vs. Military Boots within the Boots forums, part of the Gear category; What are the functional differences between the different categories of boots? I've looked around the net for information on what ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006   #1

Default Street Boots vs. Cruiser Boots vs. MX Boots vs. Military Boots

What are the functional differences between the different categories of boots? I've looked around the net for information on what makes an MX boot and MX boot or a cruiser boot a cruiser boot but haven't been able to find any info on it. Is it "bad" to use the wrong kind of boot, such as an MX boot on an HD? Military boots seem to be the cheapest option, and I would assume they're well protected, but has anyone noticed a difference between using military boots and actual motorcycle boots? I was thinking of picking up a pair of the Fox F3 boots since the reviews I've seen rave about them and they're on sale everywhere, but would it be "bad" to use them on a sport bike? I'll probably be getting a Ninja or CBR600 if it makes any difference.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #2

A couple issues to consider:

Racing boots usually are light and have extra shin and ankle protection, etc.

M/C specific boots often have a shifter pad, and neoprene sole for non slip. Some larger or steel toed work boots *MAY* not fit well under the shifter from your peg. Depends on the boot and the bike.

If you have a work boot or military boot with a nonslip neoprene sole, and it fits under your shifter, I would go for it. Lots of riders ride sportbikes with sk8r shoes, which offer very little protection for the foot much less the ankle. I especially enjoy that look with shorts, a tank top, and an expensive helmet attached under the seat. DOH. A good heavy leather boot will protect you to some degree.
jeter123uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #3

i've always been one to advocate a proper over-the-ankle motorcycle boot at the very minimum. If you're riding fast and hard, you may also want lateral ankle protection to help mitigate ankle injury from highsiding.

but if you're cruising, commuting, just riding on the slab, and don't want to look like robocop or a stormtrooper, the motorcycle manufacturers make all sorts of boots that look like normal shoes. Sidi, Icon, TCS, Alpinestars, Teknic, etc are all places to start.

It may seem excessive to spend $150 or $300 on a boot--but when your ankle gets pinned under a 400 lb bike sliding along the asphalt at 60 mph, you'll understand why.
rex01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #4

I don't mind the overall Storm Trooper look - especially if it makes a difference during a crash. I tried some Fox F3 boots on as they're on sale just about everywhere, but couldn't move my ankle at all in them, making it rather difficult to walk. Is this common? I already have military boots but would have no problem investing another $150-300 if it will make a serious difference in safety.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #5

--
When I'm not wearing my high heel white boots that I learned about from Hsart..., I wear these boots (http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-...oot/42107.html) which have pretty good protection.

They have the issue of not zipping up if you have heavy legs, but still work with the velcro closing them. And the price is right.

I should add that I've worn them for some 15 hour days without any discomfort. They're lightweight and the soles let you "feel" where you place your foot.

RonK
Iwantabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #6

i've use leather work boots, right know i have mil boots for my cruiser. when i get my gs running i may go to the sport bike boots. the thought of hamburger meat for feet don't sound good.
memorris900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #7

I don't mind the overall Storm Trooper look - especially if it makes a difference during a crash. I tried some Fox F3 boots on as they're on sale just about everywhere, but couldn't move my ankle at all in them, making it rather difficult to walk. Is this common? I already have military boots but would have no problem investing another $150-300 if it will make a serious difference in safety.

The Fox F3's are motocross boots. Not the best choice for street riding. Though motocross boots may offer the most foot protection and ankle support, they are made to take the abuse of off road riding. When you say you have a difficult time walking in them you are not alone. It's almost like trying to walk in ski boots. When you are landing from a large jump you want something on your feet that won't allow them to wrap around a foot peg. You also want a boot with good impact protection. Motocross boots for street riding is a bit of overkill. Check out http://alpinestarsinc.com/moto.
bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #8

it will make a serious difference in safety. the Fox boots you're talking about sound like motocross boots, which aren't good for street bike riding b/c they don't let you use your ankle enough.

if you don't mind the race boot look, i'd try some of the following boots:
alpinestars SMX-plus
Sidi B2
sidi vertigo
TCS Evo RX
alpinestars SMX-4
collectivehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #9

I don't mind the overall Storm Trooper look - especially if it makes a difference during a crash. ...
--
TheNew...,
Did you read my post? Did you link to these boots (http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-...oot/42107.html)? Are they not what you want?

RonK -
mbiraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #10
nik

Good tip ronk! Those are no more expensive than my Magnums are. It's just such a pain buying boots over the net...duck feet, ya know......never wide enough.
nik is offline   Reply With Quote