Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Exhaust > Motorcycle Muffler Re-Engineering?

Motorcycle Muffler Re-Engineering?

This is a discussion on Motorcycle Muffler Re-Engineering? within the Exhaust forums, part of the Parts category; I would like to replace the stock muffler with a better looking aftermarket muffler and have some difficult engineering questions.The ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008   #1

Default Motorcycle Muffler Re-Engineering?

I would like to replace the stock muffler with a better looking aftermarket muffler and have some difficult engineering questions.The bike: Suzuki DRZ-400 Supermoto (single cyl).New muffler: Yoshimura TRS carbon fible tri-oval. Designed for GSX-R 750.What I Want (Ideally): -Cut approx. 5"off length of sleeve (to look'stubby').The Difficult Part: I'd like the stubby exhaust to be as quiet (or close) to stock and prefer to cancel higher frequencies.The stock muffler is 4"dia with very thin shell of glasspack and what seems to be a series of staggered opening'plug'style baffles.The Yosh muffler is a straight through perforated baffle (approx 2.25"dia pipe) style.My initial ideas: to restore backpressure and lower dB, fabricate a series of staggered plug baffles (similar to stock) that fit inside the 2.25"Yosh internal baffle. The plug baffles could be interchanged, removed, added, etc to a common spine slipped in at flange.Professional Advice Appreciated.
BumbleB400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #2

Singles are the toughest to quiet down. Without extra exhaust pulses working to cancel each other out, you've got a thumper that's always going to make a big BANG.That's the main reason why we can have some relatively small muffler systems on twins and multis that are pretty quiet - but the big singles still have bazookas for mufflers.Currently, with the best minds and technologly in the world working on this issue, here's the options:Volume equals less noise and more power - larger mufflers are quieter and less restrictive. Increasing diameter is best, but length is important too.The best baffling and packing system in the world will only reduce sound output by a few dB. The rest is done with volume.It's the reason Honda and some other manufacturers have been testing twin mufflers on their MX'ers. Less sound without sacrificing power - by doubling the muffler volume.Weight. Lighter weight mufflers made of aluminum or metal will have a'ring'to them that adds to the exhaust sound level somewhat. Heavier materials are more dense and don't'ring'as much.Backpressure is cool, but too much on the DRZ as a street bike is not a real good idea. Make sure you're not increasing the backpressure by more than what the stock system does.Without a dyno and some other good (and expensive) diagnostic equipment, it'll be tough to really gauge what you're doing to the power, what jetting changes it'll require, etc.I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun messing with a few options here - but don't expect to come up with something really earth-shattering. My guess is you'll be able to make a shorty muffler that's either too restrictive, or ear-shattering!
ducatisti is offline   Reply With Quote