Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Tires > How much would it cost me to get the carbs cleaned on an older motorcycle?

How much would it cost me to get the carbs cleaned on an older motorcycle?

This is a discussion on How much would it cost me to get the carbs cleaned on an older motorcycle? within the Tires forums, part of the Parts category; I'm looking into buying a 1979 Honda XS650 Special with 17,000 miles from an older man in the area. He ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009   #1

Default How much would it cost me to get the carbs cleaned on an older motorcycle?

I'm looking into buying a 1979 Honda XS650 Special with 17,000 miles from an older man in the area. He hasn't ridden the bike in 5 years due to illness, and so it has just been sitting. According to him, the carbs and gas tank need to be cleaned, and it needs a battery and new tires. How much is a carb and gas tank cleaning going to run me? Are there any other possible issues that this bike could have besides what he says? I don't know anything about motorcycle engines. He only wants $695 for the bike and its cosmetically pristine. Am I entering into more than I can handle? Am I going to end up putting a lot more money into this?I'm in AZ, so there is no rust on the frame. No frame damage either, everything is still as strait as it was when it was new. Engine still turns over. My brother and I grew up with a Master Mechanic for a grandfather, so we both know about cars, him more than me. He knows a thing or two about bikes too, so he'll be the one inspecting the bike. He says he can clean the carbs himself, is that safe? Are they touchy or fragile or anything?Yes, its a Yamaha, sorry. I don't know why I put Honda. ------
Amanda L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #2

Default carbie issues

hi they were a great bike i brought my 1979 model in augest 1978 (yep thats right) the yamaha dealers got two of them in for myself and my brother inlaw, they did not think they would sell, (they sold well) if you drain all the gas out of the tank (disconect fuel line from fuel cock under the tank)drain all the gas out ,then close the fuel cock, but a litre of white spirts in the tank(might pay to remove the tank) give the tank a good shake, then open fuel cock to release the spirts, leave the fuel filler cap open for a couple of days to allow the rest of the spirts to evoperate, if the bike is running ok b4 you have to do this the carbies should be ok, it will pay to undo the nut attached to the fuel cock, it traps a lot of dust etc, cheers neil in blenheim
fathercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #3

The 650 twins are great bikes. I will guarantee that the carbs will have to be cleaned unless the bike was properly prepped for storage. Not likely that it was. The pilot circuit will definitely have to be cleaned and the rest of the carbs soaked in a carb cleaner. If you separate the carbs they will have to be synched. Probably need synched anyway. By the time you buy battery, tires and have the carbs and tank cleaned you will have an additional 450-500 dollars in it.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote