Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Tires > motorcycle tire tube repair?

motorcycle tire tube repair?

This is a discussion on motorcycle tire tube repair? within the Tires forums, part of the Parts category; i just put on a new rear tire, and when i air'ed it up i could hear the air leaking ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008   #1

Default motorcycle tire tube repair?

i just put on a new rear tire, and when i air'ed it up i could hear the air leaking out. i will probably just get a new tube but do the patches and slime stuff really work?
sicwidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #2

Slime doesn't work on tubes.Slime is OK to to use in tube less tires when they are new (or before they get a flat). It's an extra line of defense.It's just a temporary fix on tube less tires after it gets a leak. To get you home, or to a shop.Patches are OK on tube type tires, but why take a chance of it leaking? As long as the wheel is apart, spend the $8 to buy a new tube. ------
guardrailjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #3

It's common for tube type tires to vent air through the spoke holes because air gets trapped between the tube and tire. After it bleeds off, go ahead and top off your air pressure. If it's still leaking then you've punctured your tube and will have to break it back down and either patch the tube or buy a new one. Always use good tire tools and never ever use screw drivers. Before putting the outside bead on the rim add a little air to your tube to give it some shape. This will make it less likely to get pinched as you put the bead on.

Last edited by 1oldman; 03-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.
1oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldman View Post
It's common for tube type tires to vent air through the spoke holes because air gets trapped between the tube and tire. After it bleeds off, go ahead and top off your air pressure. If it's still leaking then you've punctured your tube and will have to break it back down and either patch the tube or buy a new one. Always use good tire tools and never ever use screw drivers. Before putting the outside bead on the rim add a little air to your tube to give it some shape. This will make it less likely to get pinched as you put the bead on.
Any time you have a flat tire or changing to new ones it is and should be a wise move to spend the extra bucks and get new tubes.
Patching it could lead to some serious problems like the patch pulling off at speed which will not be cool.

Last edited by gptyer; 04-02-2009 at 06:34 PM.
gptyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #5

best insurance is a NEW tube.
keep a patches as the spare to get you home. then a new tube.

tubes are cheep.

down time on the rd costs $$.

accidents cost $$.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote