Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Tires > Welding Concern on the frame of a Motorcycle?

Welding Concern on the frame of a Motorcycle?

This is a discussion on Welding Concern on the frame of a Motorcycle? within the Tires forums, part of the Parts category; A couple weeks back I hit a"gremlin"in the road, I use the term gremlin as I didn't see what I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009   #1

Default Welding Concern on the frame of a Motorcycle?

A couple weeks back I hit a"gremlin"in the road, I use the term gremlin as I didn't see what I hit and could not locate it after the fact. whatever it was it shredded the rear tire and scraped up the underneath of the bike. Just of the tire fixed, but the shop won't weld on the frame some an undisclosed reason (I asked they couldn't give me a good answer).Anyway - I need to get a pin (spring attachment area) welded to the frame to hold the end of the spring that connects the jiffy stand (kickstand) to the frame. So the question is:When welding on a bike is it better to use oxy acetylene or ARC (TIG/MIG) welding - I am curious because I have never welded on a motorcycle before and I am concerned that an ARC welder might mess up the electronics - I have a friend who can do both but I wondered has anyone ever done this - any suggestions will help -Bike is a 2003 HD SportsterThanks Everyone for the answers so far - since the area that needs the weld is way underneth the bike I am not too concerned about how it looks. It's not that flashy of a bike and a quick hit with some black spray paint should cover anything up. I had to put it up on stands just to see it.HEY!!! if you are going to give one of the below answers a thumbs down - PLEASE EXPLAIN! don't just give a thumbs down because you don't like the person, please provide a valid answer - so far everyone who has given an answer gave something valid - if you don't agree, please give me a reason why you don't agree. ------
simon y is offline   Reply With Quote