Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Tires > why is the minimum tyre tread depth 1mm on lorrys,motorcycles and 1.6 mm on cars?

why is the minimum tyre tread depth 1mm on lorrys,motorcycles and 1.6 mm on cars?

This is a discussion on why is the minimum tyre tread depth 1mm on lorrys,motorcycles and 1.6 mm on cars? within the Tires forums, part of the Parts category; cars tread depth is 1.6mmlorrys and motorcyles are 1mm why?...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008   #1

Default why is the minimum tyre tread depth 1mm on lorrys,motorcycles and 1.6 mm on cars?

cars tread depth is 1.6mmlorrys and motorcyles are 1mm why?
ADRIAN C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #2

Because lorries and buses have a much larger surface area on the tyre than a car or motorcycle.
mick49a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #3

I don't know, but for me, anything under 4mm gets changed. I buy premium tyres in matched pairs. Is this why I have never had a blow-out? My life is worth more than skin-flinting my way through the very last few miles of a tyre!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #4

If your vehicle breaks down and needs the towage company truck, the tow fee is covered by the membership will only cover the annual subscription roadside assistance membership.
Old 11-17-2012   #5

you would not want a deep tread on a street tire. it would feel like the whole assembly is moving around under you. kinda like a low or flat tire would feel.

but junk the tire when the bars show.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote