Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Shadow > change out gas tank on a 96' vlx 600

change out gas tank on a 96' vlx 600

This is a discussion on change out gas tank on a 96' vlx 600 within the Shadow forums, part of the Honda category; I want to change out my gas tank on my vlx to a larger one. Does anyone know what I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010   #1

Default change out gas tank on a 96' vlx 600

I want to change out my gas tank on my vlx to a larger one. Does anyone know what I need to know to do so? How large can I go? Are there any restriction?
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to budlight Send a message via Skype™ to budlight

There really isn't any restriction, but there also aren't going to be very many options available to you on a VLX. You may find a custom tank builder who has built vlx tanks before but I'd suspect you'll end up having to get one custom made. The good news is that with the chopper fad there is an endless supply of builders capable of such work. Probably your best bet is to research custom tank builders via google.
Old 11-19-2010   #3

Default Unfortunately, it can be done.

I've seen several other Honda tanks used on VLXs - from ACEs to Spirit 750s and others. If you've had to take your tank off you've seen that the backbone of the frame is a wide, dual tube affair and any tank you use will have to have a relatively wide channel on it's underside to allow for this wide backbone. The ACE tanks and some others have this wide channel.

However, none fit without some modifications, including cutting off brackets and hammering the underside of the tank for final fitting. Tank mounted speedometers are a hurdle as well, and what to do with the void when they're removed, unless you just leave it for show.

Another significant drawback to to the larger tanks is how your knees bang against the wider tank and the already hard to reach shifter is even harder to get at. You can do the shifter spline adjustment to make shifting bearable but it gets old quickly.

A final problem is the petcock and interference with the frame - some fit, some don't.

Personally, for greater fuel capacity, I've thrown a couple of 20oz drink bottle of gas in the saddle bags and headed out. Only really needed them once and that was after having my fuel line cut and my gas stolen. Good for me they ignored the bags and just got the gas in the tank. I replaced the fuel line and had 40oz of gas (2 bottles) to get me going. 40oz to freedom. :)

Anyhow, from my experience, of the folks that start it, most don't finish it and those that do wish they hadn't. Hope this helps.

The story of Little Red Ridin Ho
VLXS.com

or chat about VLXs

And Hey, join thousands! I'm compiling a photo reference of VLXs, stock, not stock, wrecked, on fire, it doesn't matter, send me a photo. If it's customized, tell me what you did, if it's on fire, tell me why. If it's stock, tell me the year, and so forth. Send photos to:

vlxs.com@gmail.com

Last edited by VLXXX; 11-19-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: photo change
VLXXX is offline   Reply With Quote