Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Shadow > Difference in handling/power, etc between Honda Magna and Honda Shadow

Difference in handling/power, etc between Honda Magna and Honda Shadow

This is a discussion on Difference in handling/power, etc between Honda Magna and Honda Shadow within the Shadow forums, part of the Honda category; I have a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and am also considering a 2000 Honda 750 Magna. I realize the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008   #1

Default Difference in handling/power, etc between Honda Magna and Honda Shadow

I have a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and am also considering a 2000 Honda 750 Magna. I realize the displacement is the same, but one is a twin and the other a 4 cylinder...and that's about all the differences I know. Can someone who has experience with both give me what you see as the differences between them? I'm thinking of giving the Shadow to my wife and getting the Magna...but I'm not sure. Love the sound of the VT750DC.... Thanks!
BuckarooBanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #2

Default Magna VS Shadow handling

You probably figured it out by now...
Vtwins have a different power curve than four cylinder engines. Vfour are more performance oriented, VTwin will vibrate, behave and sound more like a HD cruiser. The engine is one thing, but handling is tighly related to suspension, frame stiffness, weight distribution and braking system.

The other critical factor to consider is the driver weight and size. Both are similar in weight, but they do not have the same driving position.
Old 01-23-2011   #3

Default Magna has insufficient fuel range.

Do yourself a favor and forget about the Magna UNLESS you don't mind looking for a gas station every 100 miles or so.It's a great motor with really good torque and horsepower, but this means little when you're out in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon and you start worrying about running out of petrol.I sold my '98 Super Hawk for this same reason.It was a GREAT bike and I miss it, but my '06 SV650 is so much fun,gets almost 50mpg around town and no less than 40 when flogged out in the sticks.Instead of trying to get your girl on a bike of her own (lots of us have tried and failed,believe me),think about a 650 V-Strom.Killer bike for two-up,5.8 gal fuel capacity,smooth and TORQUEY engine,gets even better gas mileage than my SV because of the fairing,and has great resale demand if you ever need or want to sell it.Look for an '06 or earlier,as they double-plugged it '07 and later,purely for emissions' sake.My 650 will indicate 130mph,I've put 32,500 miles and nothing but a few tires and oil changes every 3K. It is the poor man's Ducati.I have a '71 BMW 750 and a '75 Kaw Z1,but Suzi is my girl on most days.90 degree twins rule! Cruisers are ok,except they don't go,they don't stop,and they don't handle.Other than that,they're great bikes.Please don't take this personally,I don't mean it as an insult.Just an old fart trying to be helpful...Jim
bogowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #4

i have a 1983 750 shadow and a 1982 magna and the shadow is more of a cruizer with more vibration and you sit in it more. the magna doesn't vibrate like the shadow i think its more top heavy because you don't sit in it you sit on it. i prefer the shadow. although i am having electrical problems with the shadow and i got the magna to ride till i figure out the shadow's problem. i'm just more comfortable on the shadow. i guess it's personal preferance.

Last edited by karen750; 06-27-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: i have a 1982 magna v45 and i'm looking to go back to a cruiser
karen750 is offline   Reply With Quote