Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Shadow > Honda Shadow Jet Kits

Honda Shadow Jet Kits

This is a discussion on Honda Shadow Jet Kits within the Shadow forums, part of the Honda category; I recently bought a 1988 Honda Shadow vlx 600, and I was looking into getting Cobra exhaust either the Fatty ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010   #1

Default Honda Shadow Jet Kits

I recently bought a 1988 Honda Shadow vlx 600, and I was looking into getting Cobra exhaust either the Fatty Shotguns or the 1 5/8 drags. A friend has a 1996 shadow with the shotguns and it sounds great but I seem to be having trouble finding the jet kit for my year. On the cobra site they said there kit is made for the 94-98 which puzzles me because there wasn't much of a change from 88-98. Once i spoke with the cobra rep he told me to call dynojet because they make the kits for cobra (he scratched his head as well). I have been researching and it seems some people have tired that kit in the 98-93s but nobody says if it really works well. The only reason I ask is because people have good luck with the cobra jet kits and the exhaust combo. If anyone else is having this same problem your not alone! please help!

The cobra kit number for the 94-98 is 92-1261
benmorgan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to budlight Send a message via Skype™ to budlight

I would bet it has a different carburetor on it. For the most part the jet kit compatibility is determined by what type of carburetor it has. post 98 for instance its a single carb so different jet kit.

You can jet a bike without a jet kit, but it can be quite a pain especially if you don't have a box full of different jet sizes. You could get the instructions to his jet if he had them and see what jets they were recommending as a starting point.
Old 07-21-2010   #3

The reason I was so interested in the cobra kits by dynojet were because of how many good reviews i read on the jet kit-exhaust installation. I thought the same thing about the carbs being different i still have yet to find info stating if they changed in 94. I hoping to come across someone who has used the kit in the early years. I have some time to straighten this out before i purchase the exhaust.
benmorgan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #4

Default VLX 600 Jet Kits 94-98

Hey Ben,

This is a copy of the email I sent you. Please reply to my email. Thanks again.

Hey Ben,

I read your blog about the Jet kits for the 600 Shadow. I own a 1993 Honda shadow VLX deluxe (also known as the VT600CD, where the regular VLX was the VT600C). I have been shopping on line and found both the Cobra and DynoJet kits both list 94-98. I too thought the bike was the same from I believe it was 88-98. Now I did find a website that lists schematics and all the OE part #'s for the Carb assembly and Carb components. So naturally I took my 93 VT600CD and compared all parts and part #'s to both the 94 VT600C and VT600CD. They are ALL the Same! There was not one difference in parts or part #s, so one has to the think that these kits MUST fit at least my 93, and I am thinking even down to the year of 1988. The site is cheapcycleparts.com. Enter your bike info, and all OE part will pop up...it works like a charm. I would reference your year of VLX vs the 1994 (first year they list for the Jet kits) and find out.

I too am interested in the 1-5/8 Cobra Drag pipe. Problem is I live in Canada, and while most companies ship free in the USA, I have to pay shipping and clear customs, etc, etc, and returns would be a real issue for me.

Did you end getting this Jet kit and trying it out...if so did it work? IF not have chatted with anyone else on the subject? If you haven't check out the schematics and parts for your year of shadow, and let me know if you find all carb parts the same....like it Did. If you did go ahead with it and had success, let me know some details on how this went...once we get to the bottom of this, perhaps we can post this all on the cyclechaos to help others with the same VLX 600 questions you and I both have.

Please email me back at your earliest convenience. I would appreciate it greatly, as I love this bike, but want to do a little more with it.

Thanks Kindly,

Your friendly northern neighbor,

Mike (Fathead)
Fathead77 is offline   Reply With Quote