Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > 1983 Honda Magna 750, not responding

1983 Honda Magna 750, not responding

This is a discussion on 1983 Honda Magna 750, not responding within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; I got home for the weekend from college and went to try starting my bike. It has been sitting since ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013   #1

Wink 1983 Honda Magna 750, not responding

I got home for the weekend from college and went to try starting my bike. It has been sitting since last summer. I turned the key and it was looking promising, lights came on, fuel pump started going. I hit the starter button and it started cracking but never turned over. I was choking it and still no good, tried giving some gas and still nothing. Pulled the clutch in and nothing. Nw when I turn the key the lights come on but when I push the start button I get absolutely nothing, like I'm not pushing it at all.

Any ideas about what it could be?
Irhall93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #2

You say engine did crank, choked and did not start. It now does not even crank the engine anymore.
Have your battery fully charged and tested, then check your spark plugs (oily, damaged ?). Get fresh gas in the tank. Check your oil level. If you end up being able to spin the engine, perform a compression test on all four cylinders. Unsufficient compression often prevent an engine to start (this would be bad news for the engine) from valve or engine ring damage or wear. A defective kill switch may also be suspected.

If you can't spin the engine, you may have a starter problem or a seized engine. This will require to access the flywheel for deeper analysys by a mechanic. It may save you a bundle to get the service manual and go trough the troubleshooting sequence.

Good luck.