Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > 83 V45 Magna Shift drum or Trans shaft

83 V45 Magna Shift drum or Trans shaft

This is a discussion on 83 V45 Magna Shift drum or Trans shaft within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; So early last summer I start having problems with the bike slipping out of first gear if I would start ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012   #1

Default 83 V45 Magna Shift drum or Trans shaft

So early last summer I start having problems with the bike slipping out of first gear if I would start off with a quick twist, usually around 5k on the tach. Eventually it took less and less torque to pop it out of 1st gear. Now here we are a year later and there is no more 1st gear. If I hold in the clutch and rock the bike back when tapping down on the shifter it will go into gear, and I can coax her into staying there when starting from a stop.

So after going through my book, there are pretty two options that I have found, pull the shift drum, or pull the transmission gear shaft. the book shows the whole motor being pulled... Not My Idea of A Good Time! or pull the shift drum. I have found a replacement gear shaft for a couple hundred, I'm just not keen on pulling the motor if I don't have to...

ANY IDEA'S, INPUT, THOUGHTS...pointers, short cuts, would be taken with great appreciation in this as my wife is not happy with the thought of me tearing the bike apart as the warm riding season is starting.
Got Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #2

You have no choice. Will have to replace a couple of gears and perhaps a shift fork. Usually the shift drum survives. Check it closely.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote