Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > Cylinders one and four not firing (no spark)

Cylinders one and four not firing (no spark)

This is a discussion on Cylinders one and four not firing (no spark) within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; I have an issue with cylinders one and four not firing on my 1886 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer. I suspected the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010   #1

Default Cylinders one and four not firing (no spark)

I have an issue with cylinders one and four not firing on my 1886 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer. I suspected the Left Ignition Coil was bad since it is responsible for both one and four. In order to eliminate the left as a variable I swapped the Left Ignition Coil w/ the Right Ignition Coil (at the same time pulled all the plug wire caps) and connected them to their respective original sequence. (Left Coil Bank Outside to #4 - Inside to #1) (Right Coil Bank Inside to #3Outside to #2) The results were cylinders one and four still not firing. So I have eliminated the Ignition Coil as the culprit.

I checked the Pick Up (PU) Coil Assembly w/ an ohm meeter. Left PU Coil (orange & black) = 150 Ω and Right PU Coil (grey & black) = 150 Ω (right were there supposed to be) All the spark plug caps check out ok too. (Brand new NGK DP8EA-9 plugs)

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas were to look next or if you may know how to rectify this problem. Thank you in advance for your help.
wizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #2

Wow that's good diagnostic work so far, do you have wiring diagram. From the sideline sounds like there is no electrical signal getting to the 1-4 coil, so follow the electrical signal back check ignitor, all timing components It will show it's ugly head' Enjoy the ride!
Tim
tim396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #3

I certainly appreciate your help & comments. I am not sure what you mean by follow the electrical signal back check ignitor, all timing components?

I believe the only way to test the Ignitor (CDI) is by replacing it. (Yamaha calls for a Electro tester YU033260) none of my local dealers have one. Would you please elaborate on what to check regarding the timing components? (I do not believe the timing is adjustable on this)

Here is the fzx 700 diagram

Fazer tech stuff
Old 09-08-2010   #4

I have a feeling your 1-4 coil is grounding out the connections to the coil are not able to send the electrical signal to fire 1-4 clys, or if ignitor bad shop manual should indicate which clys are paired up for ignitor. My zn700 kawi had bad ignitor 2 clys cold 2 hot but coils good. Check continuity of wires running from coils back into wire harness if good send email with ignitor part # have a few and access to many more. Are 1-4 plug wires throwing random spark almost looks like constant sparking while your cranking engine.
mills396@live.com
Old 09-08-2010   #5

Checked diagram see if you get a electrical pulse from the orange wire on 1-4 ignition coil. Check continuity of all wiring including grounds (black wires) from pickup coil (50) to ignitor (29) to ignition coils (52). Thanks for the info- suspects bad connect/wire and ignitor because you checked the pickup coils already. Good Luck Tim
Old 09-09-2010   #6

swap the wires from the coil that is good to one that isnt and that would identify the coil if indeed that has gone bad.
rskybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #7

I did pick up a used igniter back on the 6th of the month and it has not arrived yet. I figured I could always resell it if I don't need it. Unfortunately I will not be able to get back to this project until next weekend. I will definitely update. Thanks for the comments & suggestions I am most grateful. Until then...
Old 09-17-2010   #8

Problem solved! It was indeed a bad Ignitor (CDI). I just installed the replacement and she purrs like a cat. Your timely comments, suggestions and offers were greatly appreciated! I just wanted to post the update before I go back out and start putting her back together. This a great forum by the way. May the good Lord watch over all of us (and the vehicles around us) as we ride.
Old 09-18-2010   #9

Thumbs up

Enjoy and be safe!
rskybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #10

Glad to here your rolling the throttle! Tim