Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > Headlights out on Honda Twinstar...

Headlights out on Honda Twinstar...

This is a discussion on Headlights out on Honda Twinstar... within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; My headlight is out on my 78 twinstar and would like to fix asap so I can go riding at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006   #1

Default Headlights out on Honda Twinstar...

My headlight is out on my 78 twinstar and would like to fix asap so I can go riding at night. I just bought the bike and the headlight worked a few weeks ago when I test rode it but it's not now for some reason. Also on my "dashboard, (where the speedometer, neutral light, turn signal, and brights signal is)," nothing works but the speedometer and odometer. The lights don't let me know when I'm in neutral and I think my turn signals are also broken. The turn signals aren't so much of a problem since I'll just use my hands but I'd really like my headlights to work. Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.

I almost forgot, I don't know if it's common for a 185cc to do, but I find it very slow to reach 55mph+. It takes awhile to get up to 50 and sometimes I feel like the engine just can't handle any higher speeds. The motor sounds good except when really revved it sounds like there might be a block or old gas of some kind. The bike runs great overall and I don't know if I'm just paranoid since it's my first bike but I'd really like it to last me awhile. Thanks.
edocsilhelgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006   #2

Bad news, fender, without a headlight, you can't ride in the day, either. Bikes must have a functioning headlight at all times, day or night. Better to hear it from me then from John Law.

Check your fuses, dude. I can't remember if losing the headlight will make all that stuff go dark on an old Twinstar, on some old bikes it would, but if it's not the headlight, it's a fuse.

Good luck
NewRider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #3

Thanks I bet it is a fuse, the guy who sold it to me said he replaced the bulb awhile ago and he added in a bunch of fuses. How do I check the fuse?
edocsilhelgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #4

That thing will have the old-school glass and metal tubular fuses. Look at the strip of metal that runs through the tube, if it's broken, replace it with the same ampere rated fuse. Pick up a manual for that bike, and your life will improve a hundredfold.
izzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #5

Just went through this with couple cm185's I bought
Make sure your battery is up to snuff. If it's not good, you'll keep blowing bulbs, and those headlights ain't cheap. It's a six volt system and needs every volt.
gnudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #6

Default cm185t twinstar

Could it be the voltage rectifier be blowing all the lights bulbs on my 1978 honda cm185t twinstar?
Old 06-24-2012   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristofer View Post
Could it be the voltage rectifier be blowing all the lights bulbs on my 1978 honda cm185t twinstar?
I believe it could be. It is a series of diodes and resistors that turn the alternating current produced by your "Alternator" into the regulated 6 volt direct current the bike needs. The AC produced by the alternator is sometimes higher in equivalent voltage than the 6 volts (10 amps approx.) needed for the headlight. A rectifier/regulator can go bad and produce too low OR too high DC voltage and current.
buddacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #8

Its not safe to ride a bike without light specially the headlight and turn lights. That failure of your bike lights could be because of any damage in the power supply of your bike. you should repair it.