Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > just a bad battery?...

just a bad battery?...

This is a discussion on just a bad battery?... within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; I parked my '05 750 shadow for two months, the battery was dead from leaving the bike turned on (a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013   #1

Default just a bad battery?...

I parked my '05 750 shadow for two months, the battery was dead from leaving the bike turned on (a terrible habit of mine!!!!!...) We jumped it off w a car battery while the car was off, I've done this multiple times, which leads me to believe I've ruined a cell. So, as we pulled out of the drive way I noticed my speedometer wasn't registering n y odometer reading would dissapear only when I opened the throttle. I was getting a lot of back fire and the motor was skipping, stuttering, and or skipping etc...I couldn't accelerate quickly but managed to make it a mile to the gas station where I put another gallon of gas in the tank, I left it running and gave it a little throttle in hopes it might charge the battery, we made it another couple miles riding @ maybe 25 mph ( couldn't tell exactly) till we stopped again to allow the line of traffic that refused to pass. While there I opened the throttle wide up still tons of back fire and sputtering, here is where the bike died and we gave up...

Is this just a low voltage/bad battery issue?....I'm sure the gas had gone bad n I didn't valve it off bc when I initialy parked it I had intended to pick it bacj up n a week tell weeks top. So would a New battery n New gas w seafoam fancy this issue?...or have I developed other issues?....

Thanks for any comments suggestions, I'm sure this has been posted, but I couldn't find anything under Google....
plitedextrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #2

Oh, and I do wanna add that even tho the issue remained I could tell it seemed as tho it was working its way out, just before we stopped the second time, I could just barely open the throttle and it wouldn't back fire or sputtered, but I couldn't accelerate, and if I opened it anymore the symptoms recurred...thought this may help any trouble shooters throwing me advice....
plitedextrosity is offline   Reply With Quote