Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > Ultra Classic speedo & tach stop working

Ultra Classic speedo & tach stop working

This is a discussion on Ultra Classic speedo & tach stop working within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; I have an 06 Ultra Classic EFI running on a Thundermax with O2 sensors. After 2 years of running the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013   #1

Angry Ultra Classic speedo & tach stop working

I have an 06 Ultra Classic EFI running on a Thundermax with O2 sensors. After 2 years of running the Thundermax without a problem, the speedo & tach suddenly go to 0, the check engine & alarm light come on. The turn signals will not cancel. All other gauges, lights & radios work fine. The engine operation is unaffected. I have to come to a complete stop cycle the fork lock switch off and restart the engine to reset everything to normal. All the fuses are good and it doesn’t seem to be related to weather conditions, engine temp, speed, lean angle, mileage, altitude or anything else I can think of. Has anyone else seen this problem?
Gizmo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #2

I don't think such electrical /electronic issue can be safely troubleshooted without the wiring schematic and shop manual. As a last resource, a HD mechanic should be able to help. Whatever problem you have identified or eliminated will reduce the time spent on diagnostic. Electrical parts are expensive and swapping one for no reason may quickly turn into an expensive hobby. Again, Shop Manual and a step by step diagnostic is essential in such case. Except for basic volt and continuity testing, electric/electronic testing equipment is often not economical to purchase for home mechanic.
Good luck