Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Battery Jump

This is a discussion on Battery Jump within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; If your motorcycle battery dies because you left the lights on can you jump that battery witha car? I do ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006   #1

Default Battery Jump

If your motorcycle battery dies because you left the lights on can you jump that battery witha car? I do not think so. Your thoughts??
The Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #2

Default Battery Jump

You know, that's a really good question! I kind of feel dumb that I don't know the answer to this. I can tell you, that my Black and Decker trickle charger works on both truck and motorcycle batteries, as I've used it on both. It's just a measly 1.5 amp charger with different adapters, including a cigarette lighter adapter. Now you would THINK there would be NO problem jumping a bike, if done properly, with the standard 12 volt car battery. I just don't know. I bet someone here has done it before and knows the result.

loudest143
Chi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006   #3

Default Battery Jump

I've done it a few times and no issues.
forgivebutdonotforget911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #4

Default Battery Jump

I have jumped my bike several times from my car and other vehicles. I have never had any problems. (why should you not use a car battery?)
paul p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #5

Default Battery Jump

Well, I can't say for certain that jump starting from a car was what caused my problem...but here's what happened to me.

I had noticed that my '02 Triumph Sprint ST was turning over a bit slowly, and in hindsight I should've addressed that right away. But I didn't, and came out from work one morning and the battery was dead. I had no cables, but I found someone with cables who was willing to jump me, but he had a pickup. I wanted to borrow his cables and wait for my buddy to come out so I could get a jump from his bike. I'm sure I've read in the past that it's a bad idea to jump start a bike from a car, but I couldn't remember the specifics. Anyway, my buddy with the bike had responded to my page saying he was still going to be another 15 minutes or so, so I just let the guy with the pickup jump my bike. As soon as I took off I noticed my speedo and tach were both dead, and my "check engine" light was on. I hoped it was just because of the weak battery. Anyway, I got home and threw it on the charger and went to bed (I work nights.) When I got up it started no problem, and I rode it to the nearest Auto Zone and bought a new battery, installed it, and rode off to work. All guages now worked, but the "check engine" light was still on. When I pulled into the parking lot at work (after a 33 mile commute), I noticed that my tach would only register above 3K RPM, below that it just bottomed out at zero. When I tried to get home, the bike died on me part way home. After another jump and a 1.5 mile push, I got home. Loaded the bike onto a truck and delivered it to the dealership. The stator-alternator was fried. Parts=$435, and about a 1.5 week wait. Since I was also having the 48K service done, I think I saved a couple bucks on labor, 'cuz they already had it torn apart.

Anyway, long story short...I'll NEVER have a car/truck jump start my bike again.

Tim
Old Man Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #6

Default Battery Jump

Wow, a very compelling story, indeed. I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes, but glad that you shared your story.

loudest143
*danger danger high voltage
moe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #7

Default Battery Jump

Whenever I jump my bike with the car I make sure that the car is not running. Less chance of cooking the bike battery.
sunflare63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #8

Default Battery Jump

Unfortunately I sure have had to jump start more then a few bikes offa' cars over the years (thanks to lack of back-up Kickers....). I would suggest adding to your bring along Tool Kit a MC-Sized (is a smaller gauged cable with smaller sized Alligator Clips) set of Jumper Cables. Mind it has been many years since I've needed a jump (I'm saying MC charging systems are much better / stronger these days - ditto for Gel/AGM Batteries) but at the very least you can render assistance to someone else if needed?! Nuff' said.

LRG
johnnybelinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #9

Default Battery Jump

12 volts is 12 volts, no matter what battery it's coming from. The proper way to do it is like was mentioned before, without the donor car or truck running. One shop I worked at kept a big ol' Diehard car battery on the rack specifically for jump starts...but it wasn't hooked to a car...
Shadow 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #10

Default Battery Jump

Good to know, thanks!
nudgedoink is offline   Reply With Quote