Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Safety > Cheap v. Expensive Helmet, Jacket, Gloves

Cheap v. Expensive Helmet, Jacket, Gloves

This is a discussion on Cheap v. Expensive Helmet, Jacket, Gloves within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; New to the forum and new to the bike. I'm just wondering if I really need to spring for the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006   #1

Default Cheap v. Expensive Helmet, Jacket, Gloves

New to the forum and new to the bike.

I'm just wondering if I really need to spring for the 250$ helmets from scorpion or if the Hawk helmets on Amazon are okay too. Same with jackets and gloves.

Jacket. Do I need to get leather? Do I need armor? Any jackets that stay pretty cool?

Gloves. Leather, synthetic?

I am a new rider. I live in Orange County and this is mostly a commuter bike. I try to stay off the freeways.

Talk to me, guys.

Oh yeah, 1984 Honda VT500 Ascot. I'll try to have photos up soon enough.

joey
Henry Ate My Eggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #2

New to the forum and new to the bike.

I'm just wondering if I really need to spring for the 250$ helmets from scorpion or if the Hawk helmets on Amazon are okay too. Same with jackets and gloves.

Jacket. Do I need to get leather? Do I need armor? Any jackets that stay pretty cool?

Gloves. Leather, synthetic?

I am a new rider. I live in Orange County and this is mostly a commuter bike. I try to stay off the freeways.

Talk to me, guys.

Oh yeah, 1984 Honda VT500 Ascot. I'll try to have photos up soon enough.

joey

I wear a scorpion so I am a little biased, but imo it is worth it, the scorpions are DOT and SNELL approved, SNELL is the highest safety rating a motorcycle helmet can have. Just remember, your life is in your hands when you are trying to save a few bucks. You will be thanking yourself for spending that extra 100 bucks when you need the helmet. As for the gear I ride with armored gloves, and mesh in the summer, Leather is the best but in 100 degree heat I can't justify that on back roads. Mesh doesn't offer as much protection but it does help you stay cool, leather protects better
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #3

I'll never buy a Snell rated helmet after reading this:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

A long read for sure, but highly informative. In short: Snell helmets are stiffer and allow a higher load of G forces to be transmitted to your actual brain before the inside foam crushes to absorb impact. This is not good... Just get a DOT approved helmet and you will be fine.

Leather offers the most protection of any material and yes you want armor in your jacket.
I wear leather jacket, leather pants, leather gloves, leather boots and a DOT approved Gmax helmet that cost me 100 bucks.

YMMV...
jerrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #4

wow that article is insanely informative. I would never have known without reading it. From a physics point of view it makes perfect sense to me SO much so infact that I would have simply "assumed" that manufacturers knew this. Softer is ALWAYS better. The whole point of a helmet is IT GIVES instead of your skull and brain having to "give"

Great article man! Only $10 a year just might have to subscribe to them. What are your guys thoughts worth subscribing?
Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #5

I have read that the price is not a measure of how safe a helmet or any other product is. Rather whether or not the item is question has passed the various safety tests to get its safety rating. All DOT and Snell approved helmets are just that: approved. The price ususally reflects the added features and quality of construction.
Wardoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #6

That was definitely an informative albeit long article. Thanks for sharing Gil. I'm currently doing some research on motorcycle paraphernalia as my friends and I plan to be riding motorcycles this coming spring, and I'm looking to see what sort of safety equipment experienced riders are wearing. So please keep posting :)

Xan
fiddlesticks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #7

I haven't read the article about the Snell rating, but I also have a Scorpion helmet. I think the biggest issue is making sure it fits properly so the helmet doesn't move on your head. Also you don't want it too tight as that could become a distraction when riding.

An interesting note I heard when I was shopping was to avoid fiberglass helmets. The saleswoman that was helping me at the time said that fiberglass helmets tend to bounce more than plastic ones. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it was interesting.
runningsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #8

I have the Scorpion EX400. It is way more comfortable than the cheaper helmets I tried on.
Preston L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #9

Is there any way to keep my helmet visor from fogging up? On cool mornings I have to flip the visor open at stops to clear off the fog.
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #10

Sure they have anti fog spray, and a few other items to help stop fog. For me though they only work for a week or so and then its time to reapply. Just ride with your shield lifted very little, let the cold air take your breath away.
jvmac is offline   Reply With Quote