Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dogs and Bikes

This is a discussion on Dogs and Bikes within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; Took the Trike for a ride on Wednesday, short ride, around 5 miles to the store. Speed limit is 45. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011   #1

Thumbs up Dogs and Bikes

Took the Trike for a ride on Wednesday, short ride, around 5 miles to the store. Speed limit is 45. I was doing around 35 around a curve. All of a sudden, this dog comes out from the neighbor’s yard. Just a helling for my rear tire. I gunned it, and got away from him. Got my stuff and headed back to the house. From my experience with riding and dogs, I knew that if he was there when I came up, he would be there on my way back. Coming around the curve I was doing around 20, watching for him. Sure as shit, here he comes. This time headed for my front tire. I hit the brakes. Front locked up more than rear, drums in the back, am going to convert to dics, got off to the right side of the road, headed for a culvert. Thought I lost it, about a half second from bailing. I had the front wheel turned all the way to the left, and gave it gas, and luckily put it back on the road. Needless to say, I was shaking like hell. Checking for damage, looking for a dead dog. My other neighbor, who happened to be standing in his driveway, and I walked up to where I know I hit the dog, and I’ll be damned, he is up in his kennel. If I would have been on a two wheeler, I would have been down. I told the wife, I had a guardian angle on my shoulder. I can just see me bailing off, getting run over by the Trike, and the Trike slamming into the culvert pipe. Anyway, no damage other than asphalt stuck to my front tire, but let me tell you. It was hairy and scary. By the way, I am in the market for a good TASER.
Attached Thumbnails
trike-6-10-11-004-resized.jpg  
Ductking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #2

My experience with dogs has always been to slowdown when approaching the dog and steering toward them and when the dog approaches accelerate and steer away from them. Using this method I have only hit 19 dogs. Just kidding.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote