Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GMAX GM68 Helmet?

This is a discussion on GMAX GM68 Helmet? within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; Alright so after reading this ( http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html ) article I started looking for a DOT only approved helmet and came ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006   #1

Default GMAX GM68 Helmet?

Alright so after reading this (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html) article I started looking for a DOT only approved helmet and came accross the GMAX GM68 (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/gmax/gm68s/).

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet and what are your opinions on this article?
kenhebe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #2

My daughter has a GM17S helmet, she loves it, they are good helmets in my opinion, I plan on getting one for myself soon, since my half helmet is not good for winter riding :)
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #3

I would spend the extra money and get a snell approved helmet. DOT standards aren't the highest
ITS ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #4

Did you read that article? Personally I am not trying to stay totally away from SNELL helmets but that article just helps me to sorta want to stay with a DOT only helmet such as the one I posted in my OP. However if it is not a good helmet in terms of comfort and such, I have no problem going up to a SNELL approved helmet.

I also read a comment in another thread that apparently SNELL is changing their standards completely for 2010 to conform more to the findings that were stated in the article, which even more sorta makes me even more comfortable with a DOT only helmet, since SNELL aknowledges that softer is better, even though their current standards imply harder is better.
Old 12-18-2006   #5

From what the MSF says, snell is the way too go, DOT is pretty lax compared to snell and snell does extra testing that DOT doesn't do. I don't see how it wouldn't be helpful to have a snell rating. But hey its not my head Im worried about, I wear a snell approved helmet. To each his own....also you may want to take into account the type of riding your going to be doing. If you own a scooter I doubt you need a helmet set up for high impact. I ride sportbikes so theres a good possibility if I need the helmet it will be at high speeds so I wan't impact protection for a violent crash. Also in that article in the researchers "opinion" the standards are too strict. OK safety standards too strict, How could that possibly bad for your helmet...because it met standards and tests that arent realistic, becuase a crash that hard would never happen....Ill stick with snell and safety..
2strokeskickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #6

He backed it up with multiple sources as to why SNELL might be a little too hard. I see where you're getting at though, but I'm still not convinced since SNELL Foundation said themselves that they realized they were 'wrong'.

But did you read the article in it's entirety? It's long but you would understand more of what I'm trying to say haha.

Here's what it says under 'Controversy' on Wikipedia:

In an in-depth magazine article discussing helmet testing and safety, SMF came under some pressure from prominent head injury and helmet design experts, including Dr. Harry Hurt, author of the Hurt Report, who described the Snell standards as "a little bit excessive" in reference to the extremely high standard of results the Foundation requires. The article reported that a softer absorption material would transfer less g force to the head in the most common motorcycle accidents than the stiffer absorption material found in some Snell-Certified helmets. SMF released a technical critique and rebuttal to the article which is available at their website.

Here's what I just found through google:
From the May 2007 Motorcyclist:

New Helmet Standard for 2010

Snell sees the light

Sometimes it's hard to be humble. The Snell Foundation recently announced major changes to its proposed M2010 motorcycle helmet standard that would bring it more in line with the U.S. DOT and European ECE 22-05 standards. Snell is now acknowledging the fact that smaller heads weigh less than bigger ones—and that the helmets we put on those heads shoujld be designed around that fact.

Practically speaking, this means smaller-sized Snell 2010 helmets will likely be designed using less-rigid shells and softer Styrofoam liners, because the head forms they will be tested with will be considerably lighter, reducing the total energy of the test impacts.

This is a very good thing.

It also means a smaller helmet designed to meet Snell M2010 might not pass Snell 2005. Which would we pick? The 2010 helmet, every time.

We questioned Snell's position that "one weight fits all" in our "Blowing the Lid Off" helmet-impact-test story (Motorcyclist, June 2005). Snell's recent reversal of its position acknowledges that the respected head-injury scientists who have been arguing with the Foundation about this for years were right.

Looking at the Snell site, it looks like changes are in the works. I wonder if this will just impact (No pun intended) smaller helmets..?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221563
Old 12-21-2006   #7

He backed it up with multiple sources as to why SNELL might be a little too hard. I see where you're getting at though, but I'm still not convinced since SNELL Foundation said themselves that they realized they were 'wrong'.

But did you read the article in it's entirety? It's long but you would understand more of what I'm trying to say haha.

Here's what it says under 'Controversy' on Wikipedia:

Here's what I just found through google:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221563

The part about the helmet being hard is why I said depending on the riding your doing, would depend on the type of helmet you needed, If you ride a scooter, you probly won't need a snell helmet....ride a hayabusa and.....
johnpf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #8

So if one were to drive mostly for commuting purposes and rarely any high-speed interstate travel, what type of helmet would you recommend? From the few articles I've read, it seems like in this case the softer DOT helmets would be more helpful than the harder SNELL helmets. Does this seem fairly accurate?
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006   #9

as far as I can tell yes...but make your own decisions
landonisnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006   #10

Alright so after reading this (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html"]http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html[/URL]) article I started looking for a DOT only approved helmet and came accross the GMAX GM68 (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/gmax/gm68s/).

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet and what are your opinions on this article?

I have that exact helmet and love it. And I will never buy a Snell helmet. DOT standards are just fine. On average, the amount of G forces a Snell approved helmet conducts to the brain is much more severe than the DOT only ones. DOT approved helmets from a reputable source are going to protect you in a crash just as good if not much better than a rock hard Snell helmet.
READ:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html"]http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html[/URL]

(already posted in OP's first post -- same article)

That being said, the Gmax helmet you reference above is a good helmet for the money. I got it for the vents and the LED light in the back. The vents dont flow a lot of air, I was kinda disappointed, honestly, but the helmet is comfortable, light weight and the LED feature is kick ass. The graphics are decent for the price range and it comes with an easy to change out tinted and clear face shield. The liner is washable and removable, which is nice. I say get it if you like the style and you want the LED light.
And remember, as another forum member pointed out to me in another thread, if Snell isn't your thing, then you have other options next to DOT...there are the European standards too...BSI and ECE...These are not as brutal as Snell, but some give them more credit than DOT approved helmets. Im just fine with my DOT approved GMax...
Karen H is offline   Reply With Quote