Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GPS Mounts - Safe?

This is a discussion on GPS Mounts - Safe? within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be. I'm just curious - are there any laws on the books ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007   #1

Default GPS Mounts - Safe?

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be. I'm just curious - are there any laws on the books in any particular states about having a GPS mounted to your handlebars?

I'm trying to find a mount for my Blackberry Curve 8310 because I use it as a GPS all the time in my cage and it would be great for long rides. But if it's illegal in certain states then I may change my mind.

I know I've seen pics of people who had GPS's mounted to their bars...but I'm looking for the real scoop. Legal or no? Safe or no?

And on a side note - I can't even find one!!! I can find a mount for a Blackberry Pearl, but not for the Curve. I'm thinking I may have to try to finnagle something together on my own. If you know of one - please tell me!!
RoniT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007   #2

I don't see why it would be illegal....its not a radar detector or something like that.....If nothing else next time you run into a bike cop ask him about it....or just call up your local State trooper office
Tigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #3

I have not ever heard of any laws against a GPS, Since cars have them, why would you think they would be illegal ?
For a mount for your blackberry, look to " Ram Mounts " they have all kinds of stuff. I bought 2 from them ( 1 for car and 1 for bike ) for my Garmin . They are a little higher than some , but after I got mine I was well satisfied with the quality of their products .

Rat
temavict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #4

I have not ever heard of any laws against a GPS, Since cars have them, why would you think they would be illegal ?
For a mount for your blackberry, look to " Ram Mounts " they have all kinds of stuff. I bought 2 from them ( 1 for car and 1 for bike ) for my Garmin . They are a little higher than some , but after I got mine I was well satisfied with the quality of their products .

Rat

Well as to the legality - I heard tell that earphones while riding are illegal. So I figured it had to do with the distraction or something? I figured I'd be more distracted by a GPS than a set of earphones...so I wanted to know if anyone had heard of a law against them that's all.

Thanks for the direction!
Old 04-03-2007   #5

I think the headphones being illegal is more because you can't hear sirens and its a safety issule....although I have been pulled over two times on my bike recently wearing headphones and I have yet to have an officer say anything to me.
artgrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #6

I can't even *fit* my headphones in my helmet! I know they're not designed for it at all...but I was hoping! They're actually just the headphones that came with my Blackberry...I don't want to have to buy another set. Besides I'm not bored of the sound of my bike yet :)
Old 04-05-2007   #7

IIRC the name of the place to check is called cyclegadgets.com

They make a basic (actually several) base mount that can be modded to accept phones, radar detectors, gps, pda, balckberry, blueberry...dang they prolly got something to hold a hamburger for ya! :D

This is quality stuff that is purpose built for motorcycles.

El Linko!

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/
smilingdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #8

I can't even *fit* my headphones in my helmet! I know they're not designed for it at all...but I was hoping! They're actually just the headphones that came with my Blackberry...I don't want to have to buy another set. Besides I'm not bored of the sound of my bike yet :)

I ride with an Iphone and the supplied cell phone, they fit perfectly in my ears and under my helmet, and it enables me to listen to music, change the songs, and answer and talk on my phone while riding
KatieHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #9

New Goldwings come with a GPS built in. It must not be illegal too have one.
cauliform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #10

NakedandAlone - if you do find a mounting bracket for the "curve", be sure to post where you got it. I'm changing Blackberry some time early next year and was looking to go for the Curve.
Chef Noah is offline   Reply With Quote