Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How many really do?

This is a discussion on How many really do? within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; -- I've taken the MSF course and have been in a parking lot a few times practicing the cones, u-turns..etc, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006   #1

Default How many really do?

--

I've taken the MSF course and have been in a parking lot a few times practicing the cones, u-turns..etc, dumped it over today on a right handed u-turn New bike and getting use to it. Over and over I hear fellow riders giving the advice to new riders to take the course. How many of you guys and gals still practice? If after riding a few years...should you still hit the parking every once in a while? Just curious. How many reading this are going....Yeah, I really should but I don't.
kelsey e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #2

When the weather finally turned favorable enough for motorcycling my first stop was a big empty parking lot. The next half hour was spent doing quick stops, U-Turns, weaves, and swerves. I felt much more confident coming back home than I did when I first left. The MSF doesn't really teach you how to be a safe rider; it teaches you how to practice how to be a safe rider.

Come to think of it I should head back to that parking lot to keep myself up to date.
pimpdaddy0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #3

Actually, I do. I also do a bit of it whilst running errands in the early morning.

I try to do as much practice on dirt or gravel, to make sure I'm challenging whatever skills I think I have. It also helps me with fine control skills in wet or slick conditions, where one or the other wheel breaks loose.

I'm still not going to turn as tightly as some of the motor officers do on their Beemers, but, then again, I'm not going to be breaking 100mph on a RACETRACK anytime soon, either.

Not on a GL1500 Gold Wing, anyway...:o
islamnayeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #4

As much as I ride on a daily basis, I get plenty of practice.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #5

I still go practice every once in a while, like once a month (sometimes more sometimes less) (oh and not in winter)
Triana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #6

I live about 10 miles from the place where i took the MSF course and practice in that lot about twice a month. I try to push my skills on this course so I could hopefully better prepare myself for any bad things to come. I concentrate on tight turns and braking.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #7

I live in the country and work in the city, my commute is about 50 minutes. The first thirty minutes are on isolated county roads where I have the luxury of practicing emergency braking and emergency counter steering every time I ride. If you want to be good at anything in life you have to practice.
airbrnrngr1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #8

The MSF instructor suggested taking their course again in a year or so. In PA, it's free (which isn't the case in some states), but he said you'll always come back and learn something NEW.
kiran b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #9

The MSF instructor suggested taking their course again in a year or so. In PA, it's free (which isn't the case in some states), but he said you'll always come back and learn something NEW.

VA has an advanced skills class that you can take also which you use your own bike for.

There's no such thing as too much practice :D
Steven E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #10

I travel alot with my bike and every day out there is a practice. When you are out there you have to be very proactive. I enjoy the drive but I think about my plan of avoidance often. You only have a couple of seconds if that. When I am on the open road away from cars I practice swerving around on an object ahead. A little scary but you get to trust how the bike can help you avoid a collision.
addicted2speed is offline   Reply With Quote