Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Safety > i just dropped my bike and i couldn't be happier!

i just dropped my bike and i couldn't be happier!

This is a discussion on i just dropped my bike and i couldn't be happier! within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; so i took a trip about 12 hours ago to see fireworks and a lonestar concert in warner robbins, ga, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007   #1

Default i just dropped my bike and i couldn't be happier!

so i took a trip about 12 hours ago to see fireworks and a lonestar concert in warner robbins, ga, which was nearly 300 miles round trip. even rode this girl around town.

to make a long story short, i was tired on the way back so i stopped every few exits to take a break, get some caffeine or just walk around. then about two miles from home, something like an armadillo or possum runs out in front of me, i braked the front hard while slightly swerving into the other lane, next thing i know it was too late, i lowsided. i know to seperate swerving from braking, but i swear the bike was so upright i don't see how it happened.

so i'm wearing a full helmet, armored jacket, FULL backpack which i think helped reduce the times i rolled, 16 inch rocky snakeproof leather boots, leather gloves, and jeans. let me tell you, i couldn't be typing right now without those gloves, they are priceless. my head felt like it was covered in pillows, i seriously didn't even feel the ground. my ankles are perfectly fine.

but i'm investing in some better pants. my left knee is fine, but the right one took the blunt of the blow, and tore off a good 6 square inches of denim. also where the jacket doesn't cover as far down as my shirt, my ass is slightly scraped up around my waist.

when i finally quit rolling, which was about 5-10 times who knows, all i could say is thank god thank you god i'm alive i've got most of my skin and no broken bones and kissed the ground. then i'm like oh crap i gotta get my bike out of the road, i couldn't at first so i called my mom to bring the truck and we'd go from there, well by the time she got there i had already stood it up and got it into the subdivision entrance. i guess adrenaline can do a lot for ya.

it was flooded, leaked a lilttle gas on the road, but other than that the bike is in perfect shape, considering it slid a good 100 feet. maybe me and her are just meant to be :)

moral of the story: ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME BECAUSE ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, AND ACCIDENTS HURT.

i would show a pic of how it looked, but i don't know how this forum goes about graphic NSFW kinda things, so i'll wait on that :)

happy 4th!!! this sure is one to remember
srhtah2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #2

Gald you're ok, and the bike too! Happy 4th!
mscymruxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #3

Glad you had on your gear and hearing you are getting better pants:)
aThornONaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #4

Glad your ok and that you were wearing your gear.
marksavoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #5

ok, so it's been a day and a half so far, and it hurts way more than it did when i fell. i bruised up the areas above and below my knee to the point to where it hurts to bend my knee much at all, aside from the skin stretching pain. i've been putting triple antibiotic/neosporin on it and letting it air dry, and trying to move it as much as possible. i even tried getting on the bike today, but it was too much pain to bend my knee all the way. i'm sure i don't have any broken bones, i'm just bruised as hell.

any suggestions as to how i can get this to heal faster? i have to work my ass off this week buildinga fence for a university, and i don't want to fall behind because of this injury. i can walk fine, but i look like a pirate with a wooden leg :)
Old 02-05-2007   #6

When you get a bruise put a covered ice pack on it immediately. The bruise is caused by blood under the skin and the ice will stop the bleeding faster. Put the ice on for 10 minutes then off for 10 minutes for about one hour. Eating foods high in vitamin C will help the healing process and I have heard that vitamin K topically also helps to heal bruises faster.

Found this on the web....don't know how true but I should've tried it on my bruises to find out. It won't hurt anything to give it a try. Can't do the ice immediately but maybe can start now.
1fstDUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #7

i tend to stay away from ice contact due to the fact that i can cause frostbite, i learned this after picking up a (unknowingly) hot muffler tip one day and i put ice on my fingertips right after, it took forever to get the pain to go away. cold water is the trick with burns like that, but i don't see where it'll do me much good 36 hours later, i don't have much of a friction burn, just more of a bruised as hell/swollen knee and my skin is tight as it forms a scab.....everybody tells me it looks awful but i think i'll be ok. will try the vitamin thing if i can find anything in the house.
Old 02-07-2007   #8

Ya, the one time I went off my bike (deer incident) a few years ago I hurt way worse the day after it happened.
NoPicture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #9

You're gonna be sore in the morning! Aleve. Consider a chiropractor. I pulled a bunch of stuff loose (shoulder, rib heads, etc) moving some 2 7/8" upset tubing while pissed off once...emphasis on once. Chiropractor really helped me.

Would you have been better or worse if you'd just run it over?
forzafree46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #10

Yeah, Aleve, ibuprophen..something to help with the swelling. I hope you feel better soon.
Sherry
bear naked is offline   Reply With Quote