Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rear Turn Signals

This is a discussion on Rear Turn Signals within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; Why don't the rear turn signals on a motorcycle light up always solid on like the front ones do? For ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006   #1

Default Rear Turn Signals

Why don't the rear turn signals on a motorcycle light up always solid on like the front ones do?

For that matter, why do the front turn signals light up always solid on?

I theorize that the front turn signals light up always solid on to indicate to vehicles in front of a motorcycle that it is a motorcycle behind them and not a cage with a burnt out head light. They frame the headlight to stress it is one headlight- a motorcycle.
selcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #2

I theorize that the front turn signals light up always solid on to indicate to vehicles in front of a motorcycle that it is a motorcycle behind them and not a cage with a burnt out head light. They frame the headlight to stress it is one headlight- a motorcycle.

Sounds like a true theory to me.
justathought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #3

Why don't the rear turn signals on a motorcycle light up always solid on like the front ones do?

For that matter, why do the front turn signals light up always solid on?

I need to find confirmation/source for this, but I believe it's illegal according to vehicle codes.

I, too, agree that the reason the front ambers run along with the headlights, if not alone, is to identify a vehicle in motion for bikes and cars.

I've never really seen cars, even, with ambers on in the rear. The only lights that seem to be permitted in the rear are red (continuously running lights, that is).
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #4

Actually the reason they stay on is because of DOT regualtions. Go to the DOT goverment website and this will be explained in detail.
Stephanieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #5

this doesn't seem applicable to all country. Here is Malaysia, both front & rear turn signal indicators blinks (at 1.5 Hz +/- 0.5 Hz) while engaged.
motox94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #6

There are posts on other forums that detail the how-to of wiring rear turn indicators to function the same as the front. The only other mod necessary ,
I think, is to install red lens on the rear. That would make sense in order to add more rear lighting.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006   #7

Rear lights must be red. You could have them on constantly if you had red lenses.
shadyron5 is offline   Reply With Quote