Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Riding boots

This is a discussion on Riding boots within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; I'm relatively new to the motorcycle world, I was lookin at some motorcycle specific boots out there. I have a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007   #1

Default Riding boots

I'm relatively new to the motorcycle world, I was lookin at some motorcycle specific boots out there. I have a pair of study hiking boots, which look pretty similar to most of the motorcycle boots out there. Do motorcycle specific boots really offer more protection? If so, what kind? I see that race boots are injection molded and everything, but they a. seem impractical for a casual rider and b. would be he most expensive part of my gear if I bought a pair. Any insight?
explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #2

Default Riding boots

I just bought a pair Army combat boots from the local surplus store in town here... Paid $50 for them. I've heard a lot of bikers (at least on the cruiser forums) suggest they are the most comfortable boots with good support.

The ones I grabbed today go up to the middle of my shin and are pretty darn sturdy the whole way up. I'll see how riding goes tonight. :)

Before this? I was wearing a normal pair of hiking boots. I believe the biggest part is having your ankle covered and protected.
Kmart1326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #3

Default Riding boots

I flew with the Air Force for 26 years and have an extra pair of flying boots. They're just like combat boots, but are kid leather lined and have lace locks rather than standard shoe laces. They're very comfortable.

Having said that, I'll tell you what happened to me. I dumped my new 700-lb bike the first time I rode in on my left foot. I had on a pair of loafers, and they twisted on my foot. My ankle hurt a little and went away in a couple of days. Two weeks later, wearing my boots, I dumped it on my right foot. As rigid as the boots are, I severely sprained my ankle and in addition, severely twisted my right knee. Both times, I was going the same speed. Had I had on my loafers again, they would have twisted on my foot and saved my knee. So, boots are good, but not always. I wear my hiking boots, because they cover my ankle, but are soft and will give a little.
sardo4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #4

Default Riding boots

I think the only reason I would ever buy motorcycle-specific boots would be for the extra thickness for the shift lever.

How do you figure a pair of MC boots would be the most expensive piece of your gear? In my case, my jacket ($180) was the most expensive item, while my helmet ($130) was my second most expensive. You can easily find a pair of MC boots for under $100...
hunny bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #5

Default Riding boots

spending 119 on a cortech fsx textile, 80 on cortech mod riding jeans, My HJC Ac-12 was 112, 40 on gloves. They sell boots under 100, but they don't appear to be any more protective than my hiking boots. My hiking boots come up over my ankles, are pretty thick throughout. From what I've read, regular riding boots don't appear to be much more protective, they just have the extra thickness for the shift leaver. I think my boots are fine in that department. I guess i'm lookin for a little more knowledge about motorcycle boots in general. Any "race" style boots with injection molded support are 160 and up, quality ones appear to be about 200 ish. They look like they give more protection. What do you guys think? worthwhile investment, or stick with what i've got?
explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #6

Default Riding boots

Dj, my friend bought a really nice pair of boots from the local Harley dealer, and if I needed a pair, I'd go buy them for me. And, they cost only $85. They aren't waterproof, but there are lots of waterproofing compounds you can buy to make them that. My air force boots aren't waterproof either, so I bought some spray to make them that way.
lbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #7

Default Riding boots

I use battan stride safety boots :D The weight is fairly light, and I chose it cause there's a metal plate to protect my toes from fatal injuries,, [even when I fell down before, it prevented my ankles from being sprained / get injured]
silenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #8

Default Riding boots

I have a pair of Rugged Outback motorcycle style boots (over the ankle, and have the strap that goes over the laces) I bought years ago for a Halloween party I went to (dressed up like a biker). I wore them just that once, and then they got tossed in the back of the closet. They were only $30-40 at K-mart, but I was glad I had them when I decided to actually get a bike. They don't seem to be fairing too well though...the top of the left boot is getting chewed up from the shift lever, so it looks like I'll be in the market for another pair of boots in the next month or so. I'm not too upset though...after spending $140 for a jacket, $50 for gloves, $170 for two pairs of pants, and $270 for a helmet, having to spend another $100 or so for a good pair of boots isn't a big deal. lol.
skywardsocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #9

Default Riding boots

I use a pair of hiking boots I bought from REI years ago. They're broken in already from years of hiking, so they're very comfortable for all day use at work. If I had to buy something new, I may go with either the combat boots that Simon mentioned or some cheap riding-specific boots.

The advantage being the front toe area is a little slimmer and can fit under the shifter without being so snug. It's not much of a problem for me anymore but when I was first learning to ride, my boot would occasionally be wedged under the shifter and I'd have to wiggle it out. It seemed unsafe at the time but once I got used to how far I could stick my toe under it ceased to be a problem. If you're a new rider and can swing the extra cost for a pair of riding boots it may spare you some aggravation but you'll adjust quick either way.
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #10

Default Riding boots

Are the boots supposed to protect your ankle from getting broken? The only thing I remember from many years ago, when I last rode, was a constant sore or scab on my ankle bone if I didn't wear boots. I just wear something like cowboy boots. Will they let me wear those when I take the Safety Course?
RodeoCowboyy is offline   Reply With Quote