Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Safety > What is the most unsafe thing that car drivers do that can get you hurt?

What is the most unsafe thing that car drivers do that can get you hurt?

This is a discussion on What is the most unsafe thing that car drivers do that can get you hurt? within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; I always hear bikers talking about how much disregard for safety there is when it comes to the cars we ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006   #1

Default What is the most unsafe thing that car drivers do that can get you hurt?

I always hear bikers talking about how much disregard for safety there is when it comes to the cars we share the road with. What is the most dangerous or most common mistake that our four wheeling buddies seem to make?

Is there an awareness in the states that allow lane splitting by the drivers of cars?

When do you know you are in the blind spot?

I am sure that there are a few things that could be done better by the box riders that would make it easier to avoid road rash. i just want to know what you think.

I think that lane splitting should be on a car drivers written test myself. i have never seen it mentioned before. I always get yelled at for splitting lanes even when it is perfectly legal.
lillypadleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #2

Default What is the most unsafe thing that car drivers to that can get you hurt?

When do you know you are in the blind spot?

Always assume you are. And even if you are not, it doesn't matter because half the time they will stare you through like a ghost.
Word to the wise; every time you encounter a vehicle, ask yourself this; "What's the stupidest thing this person could do....right now....", prepare for it, and don't be surprised when they actually do it. This has saved my bacon more than once.
Some are actually out to kill you.
Some are innocently out to kill you.
The difference between the two doesn't matter.
Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #3

Default What is the most unsafe thing that car drivers to that can get you hurt?

This is the easiest way that I can demonstrate one of the problems. Hold out a pencil at arms length to your side. Turn your head and look at it like you are looking for oncomng traffic. The thin width of a pencil can hide a motorcycle a block away. Now go look at windshield posts of a car or pickup. 4" wide? 6" wide? 8" wide"? I know in my Impala the windshield posts are so wide they can hide a full size vehicle a block away! That is what we are up against. That is why you have to ride like you are invisible - you just might be! But as far as "common mistakes" it has to be cars making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle (ain't no windshield post in the way) and running stop signs/red lights (or failing to yield - the same thing in my book).
andreea b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #4

What's frustrating is when I'm driving my truck, I'm constantly on the lookout for bikes, simply because I KNOW that the Bike Vs. Car battle is one-sided. I'm always concerned with giving bikes their space on the road when next to my truck. In the motorcycle world, I've been preached "Safety Safety Safety" for a reason. So here's the kicker...no matter how safe I am in the truck, I've had cars, trucks, semi's, the works all act like I'm not even there...as if I have no existance on the road.

What kills me is I see people on cell phones, changing lanes w/o signaling, running stop signs...it's no wonder people assume motorcycling is an ill-fated sport because one slight mistake from a car has the potential to end lives on a motorcycle. I don't have enough fingers to count how many times I saved my own skin because I was looking out for idiot drivers on the road. And people wonder why we have flashy bikes or loud pipes...etc.

Personally I feel that since riding on two wheels, I feel like a better driver in a car because I have that mindset of both worlds. I'm constantly checking blindspots BECAUSE I know where bikes can/might be.

And that's what really grinds my gears. End rant.

~Joker
IGotWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #5

In States where it's legal to turn right on red, they'll pull right out in front of you - - happens way too often.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #6

In States where it's legal to turn right on red, they'll pull right out in front of you - - happens way too often.

Also 9 times out of 10 they have a cell phone blocking there view they are texting or what ever
SandMan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #7

Or putting on makeup, reading the paper, texting but the cell phone thing is the worse
winks2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #8

I think car drivers minds are not on driving at all. They have too many other things to play with. Radio, CD, phone, other people to talk to, and so on. In Florida it's the blue hairs and Q-tips to watch out for.
raye s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #9
T F

:) What the heck is a blue hair ?
T F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #10

:) What the heck is a blue hair ?

An old, really old Far-. In Florida 1/2 the drivers have either blue hair or white and are over 80. You will see them drive a car and they can not even walk hear or see very well.
masta g is offline   Reply With Quote