Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase.

completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase.

This is a discussion on completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase. within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It sounds big but it is light and easy to handle. It has the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010   #11

Cool Beginner Bike

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It sounds big but it is light and easy to handle. It has the power to get on the freeway and keep up with traffic. It is really a fast bike but you are the one to deside how you ride it. I have owned several bikes through years and this is favorite. It is no longer made but is always availabel on E-Bay. They got it right the first time and made the same bike from 1986 until 2006, just changing the colors. It is comfortable and a pleasure to ride. I sure would recomend that you look at it.
Mcneuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #12

The best way to learn to ride is in the dirt.When you fall it doesn't hurt as much as asphalt,and IF you learn to ride while sliding the rear tire in turns,you won't get caught out the first time you lose traction on the street.Make no mistake,street riding is dangerous as hell,you need to ride as if you're invisible.The fellow who recommended more power was spot-on.These stupid mother******* who are doing everything EXCEPT looking out for you and me are everywhere,texting and yakking on their damn phones.Put it this way,the money you save on fuel will quickly become a non-issue if you break a leg and can't work.If you're a big guy,get an XR250L Honda.They are street legal AND do great in the dirt,as long as you keep it low key.But this bike is NOT freeway material.That bike should come later,with experience.Telling you when these things happen (and they will,unfortunately) it helps to react instinctively. Sincerely,Jim
bogowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #13

A 250cc motor might seem a big enough power plant, and granted there are a lot of over powered bikes out there, but 250cc's equates to just over 15 cubic inches. I have lawnmowers with more displacement than that.

Granted, some of these 250 size engines make decent power, but @ what cost? They are fun to ride @ full bore to go fast, because wide open is the only time they make useable power. Same for race engines. Thing is, they don't last long running cherry red @ 10,000 RPM's. Reason they have to rebuild them after taking a beating.. Fuel milage suffers, as well.

Old saying, "That there is no substitute for cubic inches and no replacement for displacement."

I'd have to go at least 500CC's (30.5 C.I.) and loafing along on a heavier highway bike if I wanted to justify mixing it up with cars and trucks @ highway speeds.
Dadzo is offline   Reply With Quote