Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > do i really need a used bike as my first?

do i really need a used bike as my first?

This is a discussion on do i really need a used bike as my first? within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; Well im gonna go by my first motorcyce soon. Im gonna go new even though i keep reading i should ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009   #1

Default do i really need a used bike as my first?

Well im gonna go by my first motorcyce soon. Im gonna go new even though i keep reading i should buy a used bike. the problem with that is that i cant find a cheap used bike. All the ones i find are more expensive than the bike i want brand new( a kawasaki vulcan 500). well i just want people's opinion, cuz i keep reading that people say its only a matter of time before u forget the kickstand and such. so i guess i just want to know if its really that common to mess up ur first bike. i should tell u that i took the msf course and got the highest grade in the riding test, and am a really careful person, i stay away from risky situations. ------
KrimzonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #2

It is quite easy to find second hand bikes a decent pricing if you stay away from motorcycle dealers and sneak onto Ebay and else. Of course, you must know what type of bike you want to buy first. If you drop it or get into a minor crash, you may still have saved enough to have purchased top quality protective clothing, so that you will save your skin too. Of course, you will need to find a way to get it inspected first. NEVER buy a used motorcycle without a compression test, mechanical inspection and road test by an experienced rider.

It is generally recommended to stay away from very powerful sport bikes and beasts over 1000cc as a first bike, simply because you need a more forgiving machine. A 500-800cc naked bike is easier to handle and will cost less to repair if you drop it than a full blown cruiser, a sport or sport touring bike with windshield, wind deflectors , chrome and special mirrors that break quite easily. Remember that a well maintained bike can last a very long time...

My first bike was a Honda CB175 1971, my second one a Goldwing Interstate GL1100 1981. I currently drive a 1980 Honda CM400T, precisely because it costs much less to repair and it is much lighter and easy to handle than the Goldwing if you don't need a bike for long trips. There is a lot of more recent used and bulletproof Yamaha and Kawasaki and Honda Vtwins that are very affordable out there. Just open your eyes. Unless you are targeting a HD, there should be no problem to find an affordable and yet reliable used one.

Last edited by lamimartin; 03-07-2009 at 12:22 AM.
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #3

NO NO NO , never go for a second hand bike. Out of my experience I have always hand to taste the bitter part.
motocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #4

Default Used bike or not for 1st motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocraze View Post
NO NO NO , never go for a second hand bike. Out of my experience I have always hand to taste the bitter part.
If you have the right budget, knowledge and attitude, buying a new bike is the best option, but let's face it: Most young people who are looking for a first bike don't have the budget to get a new one, insure it properly and buy good quality protection gear. Getting an advance driving course to reduce the risk of lack of experience also requires patience and money.

A basic inspection including compression test by a qualified mechanic is a quick and modest investment. Knowing your bike and your own limits is even more important. Investing in knowledge and patience pays off.

Without experience, jumping on a dreambike that you don't even understand the specs and limits is asking for big trouble... it is likely going to hurt a lot rather sooner than later.

If someone really wants to ride, there is a way to get into it safely even without a big budget buying a used bike. Motorcycling is not for everyone. Making calculated risks is the very essence of motorcycling: there is no 100% safe way to buy your first bike. I must add, buying a motorcycle older than 10 years old is quite risky for someone who is not able to perform all repairs by himself.

Last edited by lamimartin; 12-24-2009 at 05:16 PM.
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #5

Well..!!
You are the beginners of the motorbike,so you have to first learn how to make speed of motorbike and many more stunts. You can learn about the bike stunts from the old bike to prevent the heavy accidents.
So my advise for beginners use oldies bile.