Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > Ducati Monster 696 good first bike?

Ducati Monster 696 good first bike?

This is a discussion on Ducati Monster 696 good first bike? within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; I plan on buying my first motorcycle in the spring of '09, and have been doing some research and asking ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007   #1

Default Ducati Monster 696 good first bike?

I plan on buying my first motorcycle in the spring of '09, and have been doing some research and asking as many questions as I can. I'm still so new to the motorcycle world.

Initially, my interest was in either the Ninja 650, or SV650, it still is. However, I just came across the Ducati Monster 696. WOW! What a sweet looking bike. I'm still reading up on it, but would this be inappropriate for an entry level bike?

Also, I know it's "naked" and has a significantly different look than the other 2 I mentioned. Are there other major differences between the 696 and those other two that would affect my decision?

Thanks, in advance for your help :)
dmonstergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #2

Power wise I think the 696 is probably much like the Ninja 650 or the SV650. However, keep in mind that Ducatis are supposed to be more expensive to maintain, and I would imagine insure.
Peyton Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #3

The 696 if you read the ducati fan-boy sites has a big stigma as a "girls bike." I think it's a neat bike, and if you don't care what people think, and the cost of maintenence, you will love it.
ugly joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #4

Yea, well, the Harley Sportster 883 has the same stigma, but I'd love to be riding one of those, personally. :)

Besides, Ducati riders are probably few and far between, especially compared to all the other brands out there. I know I've personally never seen a Ducati in person.
knifeman3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #5

I know I've personally never seen a Ducati in person.

You have 800+ posts so I have to assume you have been around bikes a while, and you've never seen a Ducati? I see them all the time and I've not been to many motorcycle dealers in town that didn't have at least one.
War Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #6

Besides, Ducati riders are probably few and far between, especially compared to all the other brands out there. I know I've personally never seen a Ducati in person.
One of my local dealers is a Ducati dealer. They're sexy. Just don't expect to get much of a break on the MSRP.

If you like the 696 (which I also do), check out the Suzuki Gladius (the replacement for the SV650 and very much like the 696) and the Kawasaki ER-6n, which is a naked version of the Ninja 650 and also has very nice lines. Although no official MSRP is available for the Gladius yet, it's supposed to be as much or less than the SV650, which means there are two great options for naked sport bikes that cost 2/3 of the 696. The only reservation I have about getting a naked sport bike is that they offer less wind protection, both for the rider during normal riding and cross winds created by windy days or large vehicles like tractor-trailers. I think that's why they're considered to be "city" bikes.
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #7

The stigma on the Sportster 883? A lot of them put that stigma onto the Sportster 1200.
Forget that stuff.
Just get the bike you want.
dc
Ryan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #8

The 696 if you read the ducati fan-boy sites has a big stigma as a "girls bike." I think it's a neat bike, and if you don't care what people think, and the cost of maintenence, you will love it.

really? im glad i didnt buy it now. its also way too expensive.
robkwkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #9

I ride a Sportster and never cared what kind of bike people call it. My advice is to get the type of bike you want and one you can learn to ride well. Don't worry about what other people think.
lidon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #10

Don't worry about what other people think.

I'm not. I'm worried whether this will be a good beginner bike.
dmonstergirl is offline   Reply With Quote