Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > Got my cherry popped today!

Got my cherry popped today!

This is a discussion on Got my cherry popped today! within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; I got my cherry popped today! Met up with a couple of members of my riding club, and went for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011   #1

Default Got my cherry popped today!

I got my cherry popped today! Met up with a couple of members of my riding club, and went for my first group ride up in the mountains. Learned the fundamentals of group riding. Got the formation down, but not all the hand signals. It was cold but alot of fun! On the way back the lead rider said he was gonna take me on the freeway for my first time. This is something ive been avoiding, and was very nervous about trying. Im not ashamed to admit that when we got on i was petrified, and tense as hell! We were outside of town, had a ways to go, and the speed limit was 75. It felt like i was going mach 10! What a rush! It was the first time ive been up to those speeds on my bike, and it was so intense! Only had a couple of issues at that speed
First issue i had besides being all tensed up, was all these damn little grooves in the road, made my bike pretty squirrely where i kept thinking my wheels were gonna come off. I went over a rather large bump once, and felt for a moment i was about to launch into space! Then whenever i turned my head to check before a lane change the wind felt like it was gonna rip my head off my neck! Despite those issues and my terror, it was a good experience. Im so happy i faced my fears! Thats the only way to overcome them, is to face them head on. I probably never wouldve done it, if i wasnt forced out of my comfort zone. Now ill try the freeway again soon, and i shouldnt be near as scared. Before i know it it wont bother me at all. I tell ya when i finally got off the freeway, i felt like i could handel damn near anything! I felt so alive, and in charge! Im truely amazed at all the progress ive made in the short time ive been riding! My confidence, and skills are improving greatly every day. Im really proud of myself!
Riding is such great therapy! Facing your fears, and overcoming them. Focusing, haveing no distractions, and being aware of all thats around you. When im riding nothing else matters! It really is like when my helmet comes on all the B.S. stops. Im not thinking about all my troubles, and worries at home. Im totally in the moment! Right here, right now. Its so freaking awesome! I shouldve done this a long time ago! Today was a good day,full of new experiences!
Old 11-28-2011   #2

Congratulations! How long have you been riding? I've been riding since 1975 and I must say, I love my windshield. Even a full face helmet is enough to strain your neck at highway speeds.
Old 11-28-2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMotoShack View Post
Congratulations! How long have you been riding? I've been riding since 1975 and I must say, I love my windshield. Even a full face helmet is enough to strain your neck at highway speeds.
Ive actually been riding for only a month! I only have about 500 miles under my belt so im still a total noob. After Christmas i should be able to afford a windshield for myself. From everything ive read it should make a big difference! I seem to be able to take the wind pressure fine up to 55mph. Any faster than than that and the air pressure is a little too much for me. I didnt feel safe changing lanes without a head check, but the feeling of the wind trying to dislocate my skull didnt feel safe either. Im hoping some motorcycle dealers in town sell windshields instead of ordering one online. That way i can see wich one will best for me, and they can tell me what size i need.
Old 11-28-2011   #4

Yeah, 55mph seems to be a magic number. Decades ago when the speed limit in CA was 55, riding without a windshield and a 3/4 helmet was fun. Now I live by I-5 and everyone drives 80mph. Sometimes I take the windshield off to change the look but, Damn! Even in a full face helmet it's too much. With the windshield, even a half helmet is ok.

You won't regret a windshield. It makes the ride more enjoyable.
Old 07-09-2012   #5

wow thats great! i am gonna join them very soon :)
gtabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #6

Good for you. A windshield is worth every penney you spend on it. They not only
keep you from feeling like you are going to be blow off the bike at higher speeds, they are great in the rain too. Ride safe!
arlenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #7

windows also kep the bugs, birds and rocks off your beak
lazyrockingG is offline   Reply With Quote