Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > I'm a new rider and loving it! QUESTION

I'm a new rider and loving it! QUESTION

This is a discussion on I'm a new rider and loving it! QUESTION within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; i was riding my 2001 Suzuki Marauder VZ800. I put about 100 miles on a full gas tank. I needed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009   #1

Default I'm a new rider and loving it! QUESTION

i was riding my 2001 Suzuki Marauder VZ800.

I put about 100 miles on a full gas tank.

I needed to fill up soon but decided that i'd ride it as much as i could till the fuel runs out just to see how long i could last on one tank.

So i come to a stop light. The bike now has 104 miles on the gas tank.

all of a sudden it stalls and i couldn't start it back up.

You think it's because i ran outta gas, right?

well... all of a sudden, the electrical system goes haywire on me. I turn the bike on (the lights come on) but when i push the starter, the lights go out immediately.

After a while, the lights don't even respond. So now i'm stuck.

I push the bike into a gas station and fill up the tank BUT THE FUCKING LIGHTS STILL DON'T COME BACK ON!!!!!! No electricity and the bike won't start.

push starting didn't work either.

Finally, after a while i found someone with Jumper cables. i connected it to a car battery and after about 2 minutes... the bike started back up.

i left it in neutral to thank my jumper and when i came back, the bike shut off again.

so i jumped it again (2nd time was harder than the 1st time), and once started, i immediately took off.

Got home and pulled out the voltmeter to check battery charge. Charge = 13.10 V.

When i got home i was able to stop and start the bike again as if nothing ever happened.

Has anyone here had similar experiences? What the hell happened?

Is this what will happen again if i run outta gas on the highway? Please HELP!

Thanks in advance
RicheyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #2

Running out of gas on a highway would be my worst nightmare, always have your mobile with some balance so you could make some urgent calls to friends or a near by station where you could buy some gas for you machine.
motocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #3

My Marauder is finicky on the battery and sounds like yours is too get a new one and prob should be solved!
rskybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #4

I'd suggest checking all the major eletrical connectors from the battery to the starter relay, the starter, and the main wire harness. Look for dryness, discoloration, cracking, or burnt connectors. If "none of the above" applies, then it might be moisture getting into of the connectors. Invest in some die-electric grease and apply to the connectors. It will keep the moisture out. It's an 01, she's not as tight as she used to be.
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote