Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > never had a bike, considering getting one, need help

never had a bike, considering getting one, need help

This is a discussion on never had a bike, considering getting one, need help within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; Hi guys, I am a new rider at nearly fifty, have had a 400cc diversion 10 years ago and because ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009   #11

Default What should I buy

Hi guys, I am a new rider at nearly fifty, have had a 400cc diversion 10 years ago and because of that class myself has a new rider. I have my eye on a classic honda cb750k. Is this a good starting bike. I am not paying top dollar for this bike so me thinks that it would be a good one to start on. any ideas pls
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #12

Hey

I bought a 2010 Suzuki GS500f its my first bike and I love it.Only paid 3999 CDN

Last edited by Jboneman; 11-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Jboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #13

Send a message via AIM to Bakwoods

Kinda resurrecting a "dying thread" so to speak. I too am in the market for a bike. As a matter of fact, I have been dying to get one since I was about "yey big" and now my friend is selling two bikes. A 93 Suzuki GSX-R 750 and an
89 somethingorotheridkwtfitis both for $700 just to get rid of the damn things. I already have two cars on the road and will retire one, however I would love to get a bike just for the weekend cruises down to Brooklyn to see my girlfriend.

What do you guys recommend, in terms of bike...is the 93 a good start? I know it's a sports bike, but hey you gotta start somewhere, besides insurance can't be all that bad on it.
Bakwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #14

I have ridden for 40 years and I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF)course last year and I learned. Highly recommend it and it is much easier and convenient to get your license. You seem to be wise with your money so consider this. many insurance companies offer a discount to riders that have completed the MSF course and you will acquire skills and experience that would take years to learn.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010   #15

Thanks. I do intend to take the permit test today and then proceed with the MSF course in the winter/spring. It'll be well worth my time and money because I've heard nothing but good things about it. A friend of mine took it and said that the first few hours are self explanatory things, thereafter it was some really good advice and techniques which you would not learn on your own.

I also heard that the MSF course gives you a waiver in NYS for the road test. Very nice to know since I'd rather pay the money, take the course and ride away.
Old 11-26-2010   #16

Don't know about NY but in Illinois the MSF charges $20.00 to sign up for the class and then refunds it upon completion of the course. They will talk you out of the $20 at the last class and you will be happy to give it to them.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010   #17

MSF $20? WOW! Here it's $300 for a 3 day class. I'm moving to IL!
Old 12-01-2010   #18

If you don't feel the need to be a true staunch biker & your riding is is virtually exclusively in inner city traffic consider the scooter option - no gear changing to worry about. Don't buy anything made in China (yet) and go for at least a 125cc or 250cc bike to make sure you can stay with the traffic. I worked in an inner city bike shops for three years and if any of the staff had to make a cross town dash we always jumped on a scooter as opposed to a "real" motorcycle. Cheers.
TERRYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr660 View Post
By the way, will I have to redo all the tests or just the driving test?

You will have to take a written and skills test to get your motorcycle license. I'd recommend signing up for a MSF course. Most states will waive the testing once you pass the course. It can usually be completed in a weekend.

Take the MSF course before you think about what to buy. The state provides the motorcycles and you get to choose what kind you want to learn on. They usually have a few different styles to choose from. If, after a weekend, you decide that riding isn't for you... you've gained some valuable knowledge and didn't have to buy a bike or hurt yourself in order to find that out.

If you decide that riding is for you, now you have a foundation of invaluable knowledge and skills that you will use for the rest of your life as a rider. And you will have a better idea of what style of bike you feel comfortable on.

GOOD LUCK!
A Cycle Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #20

i think a ninja 250 will be a great start for you. if you are a starter and will start riding in a city this one will be your buddy. with better mileage compared to a car and even if you are a beginner there will be no problem with the grips.