Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > newbie in motorCycle rider

newbie in motorCycle rider

This is a discussion on newbie in motorCycle rider within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; hello!!!! what i can do to maintain the good performance of my big bike.. I'm first time to have a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011   #1

Default newbie in motorCycle rider

hello!!!!
what i can do to maintain the good performance of my big bike..
I'm first time to have a big bike..
my big bike is CB400

thaks!!!!
Old 04-30-2011   #2

I would start by getting a Service Manual and get a compression check. If compression is badly uneven or below 100 psi, the engine may require an overhaul. In such case, I suggest you stop investing because it is usually not economical to rebuild such vintage bike because of rare essential parts and high number of hours required, even if you are doing the work yourself.

CB400 were made in parallell twin and V Four versions (more exciting, but ... twice more expensive to rebuild). For instance, I got my CM400 1980 engine rebuilt by a pro, but the new bottom gasket failed. The rebuilt engine requires about 12 hours of work to get to the defective gasket, reassemble and tune up. Fortunately, I had a spare engine on hand.

So my few advises to you: Make sure your engine is not shut first and if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Use your shop manual before you attempt anything. Make sure you have spares for tires, brakes, chain, ignition parts to keep it safe to ride. Change your engine oil an filter as often as you see it degrading and at season end and take all possible measures to keep it dry, inside and out for storage. Stay away from gas with ethanol if you can (ethanol attracts moisture and degrades rubber parts manufactured before the early 90's).
Old 07-25-2011   #3

taking care of any bike is really easy now because there are lots of information that are very accessible in the internet as of now. you can read as much article as you want and if you want to make it really easy for you, there are thousands of videos in the internet that they will show you how to take care of your bike.