Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > Premium or regular gas?

Premium or regular gas?

This is a discussion on Premium or regular gas? within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; I have an 86 honda nighthawk and I have read different views on whether to use premium gas or regular ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010   #1

Default Premium or regular gas?

I have an 86 honda nighthawk and I have read different views on whether to use premium gas or regular unleaded. They all say to refer to owners manual though, which I don't have. Which is better to use and what will give me the best performance and most mpg?
RegnisnuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #2

Default use regular

Use 87 octane regular unleaded, since that is what it was made to use. Also, I have been experimenting with Marine Sta-bil (green not red) 1oz per 5 gallons. So far, it appears to be helping with the alcohol in the gas problem on my Voyager XII. Using a higher octane will not work better and will cost more. If using regular picks up a knocking then you have a mechanical problem.
Good luck and ride safe,
Mike
Michael W LexPk MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010   #3
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to budlight Send a message via Skype™ to budlight

You never mentioned what size nighthawk even though I doubt it matters. The only way I would use premium is if by chance it doesn't contain ethanol. In that case I would try it and see if it was better. I think most everywhere has 10% ethanol in all grades but there has been a movement to remove the ethanol from premium fuel. I have no clue how successful such movements have been. see Ethanol Free Premium Coalition
Old 10-25-2010   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegnisnuM View Post
I have an 86 honda nighthawk and I have read different views on whether to use premium gas or regular unleaded. They all say to refer to owners manual though, which I don't have. Which is better to use and what will give me the best performance and most mpg?
Don't assume regular gas is the same as it used to. It has now a shelf life of 3-4 months and only has ethanol added for about 5 years. You MUST avoid ethanol in gas if you can, simply because your carb and fuel components were NOT tested with ethanol and will DEGRADE prematurely. Ethanol is a powerful solvent. Even stabilized with Sta-Bil (a minimal precaution by season end) it will slowly damage your fuel system.

Octane level 91 is often ethanol free, as opposed to regular gas. It won't absorb as much air moisture and will not contribute to rust out your gas tank as much if ethanol content is lower or inexistent. Octane level 91 will be sufficient for high compression versions (VFour), so you can't go wrong.