Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > Suzuki TS-400 1970's dirt bike

Suzuki TS-400 1970's dirt bike

This is a discussion on Suzuki TS-400 1970's dirt bike within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; Hello everyone! Last fall i purchased a 1970's 400cc Suzuki "Apache" dirt bike. Suzuki TS400 - CycleChaos Brochure Pictures As ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012   #1

Default Suzuki TS-400 1970's dirt bike

Hello everyone!

Last fall i purchased a 1970's 400cc Suzuki "Apache" dirt bike.

Suzuki TS400 - CycleChaos
Brochure Pictures

As im a new rider, and the bike is nearly twice my age, i figured i should probably do some research before jumping headway in.

I enjoy building things and mechanics, so im looking forward to restoring and learning this bike, however im not entirely sure where to start.

It has only been ridden a couple times in the last 20 years, so it definitely needs a good work over.

What would you guys suggest i do first?
kegansjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #2

Change fluids. Do not be surprised if the crank seals let go. They often dry out and fail from sitting. This will be evidenced in two ways. If the mag side lets go then you will experience uncontrollable rpms. If the clutch side seal lets go then it usually will have heavy smoking and your trans oil will be disappearing. Carb will be undoubtly need cleaning unless it was stored properly which is unlikely. Check the gas tank by looking through the fill hole, if you see much rust then you will have to deal with cleaning and sealing the inside of the gas tank or you will have reoccuring carb issues which can lead to piston seizure.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledcycles View Post
Change fluids. Do not be surprised if the crank seals let go. They often dry out and fail from sitting. This will be evidenced in two ways. If the mag side lets go then you will experience uncontrollable rpms. If the clutch side seal lets go then it usually will have heavy smoking and your trans oil will be disappearing. Carb will be undoubtly need cleaning unless it was stored properly which is unlikely. Check the gas tank by looking through the fill hole, if you see much rust then you will have to deal with cleaning and sealing the inside of the gas tank or you will have reoccuring carb issues which can lead to piston seizure.
Thank you very much.

Is there anything else i should do beyond
Checking/Replacing crank seals
Check/Clean/Reseal Gas Tank
Changing Engine/Trans Oil
?

If anyone could recommend some specific tutorials/sources of info i would greatly appreciate it. I will be sure to post the useful/relative information i collect.
Old 05-15-2012   #4

eventually you will have to replace the fork seals. If you are lucky the fork seals have been leaking. How is that lucky? Leaking fork seals will have coated the fork tubes with oil and acted as a preservative. The fork tubes may have rust on them which can cause pitting. Pitted fork tubes will never be able to keep fluid in them.
Old 05-22-2012   #5

Smile

Where can i find the correct engine/transmission oil specific to the bike?

I've done extensive google searching but im not getting any reliable info.

The bike is also missing its battery, will i be able to purchase a replacement at Costco, or is it likely not being manufactured any longer?

Thank you for your help
Old 05-22-2012   #6

Try BikeBandit.com. They will have your battery and an area where you can ask questions regarding your fluids.
Old 07-25-2012   #7

Im slowly but surely making progress on the bike.

It's missing a couple things on the bike that i cant find anywhere.

Please don't hesitate to correct my noob lingo

The special nut that holds the drive gear onto the drive axle has gone missing.
Could 2 nuts locked together suffice or should i find the specific part?

On the rear wheel some of these nuts pictured are missing and the gear/break fixture seems wobbly.

What type of fluids should i put in this bike? I tried autozone but they dont know what type of oil to use.
Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas?
Old 07-30-2012   #8

Hi, I got one of then in March. Mine was in worse shape than yours. The engine was full of crap. The crank was full of a combination of dirt, hair, mouse nest and mouse excrement. Suprisingly it all washed with a good power washing. There was mouse stuff in the air box (rotted out), the carb (corroded shut) and the exhaust was full of Decon. When I got it back together it started and with some adjust it runs awesome. I took pics of the crap in the engine but I don't have much luck posting pics onto forums.

Good Luck with your project.
Mike
ps. the clymers manual is of minimal help. It focuses on the smaller displacment bikes.
skrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrapper View Post
Hi, I got one of then in March. Mine was in worse shape than yours. The engine was full of crap. The crank was full of a combination of dirt, hair, mouse nest and mouse excrement. Suprisingly it all washed with a good power washing. There was mouse stuff in the air box (rotted out), the carb (corroded shut) and the exhaust was full of Decon. When I got it back together it started and with some adjust it runs awesome. I took pics of the crap in the engine but I don't have much luck posting pics onto forums.

Good Luck with your project.
Mike
ps. the clymers manual is of minimal help. It focuses on the smaller displacment bikes.
Thank you! The bike really doesnt seem to be in too bad of condition, apart from missing the drive sprocket nut and the rear axel nut, both of which im unsure how to replace.

I was extra ambitious the other day and proceeded to dissasemble most of the bike. Now the engine is in 3 pieces and the rear wheel has been removed.

I found a pack of all the engine gaskets for pretty cheap straight from japan
? 71-77 SUZUKI TS400 TM400 ENGINE GASKET SET NEW CI-TS400GS | eBay

and another pack of bolts/nuts for the bike.

I've never rebuilt an engine before but i think im going to learn with this bike.

Im glad to hear you've had success.

I saw the clymers manual for sale on ebay, i was tempted to buy it but i couldnt find a digital copy anywhere online and it was for a broad range of suzuki bikes so i was hesitant to drop 40 bucks on it.

I was however, able to find this original TS-500 manual online.
Hope it can be of some use to you

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~praty/motskari...ual_150dpi.pdf