Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Dual Purpose > 1986 Yamaha XT 600 - Just registered on CycleChaos & need some sss

1986 Yamaha XT 600 - Just registered on CycleChaos & need some sss

This is a discussion on 1986 Yamaha XT 600 - Just registered on CycleChaos & need some sss within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I picked up an 86 XT 600. It needs quite a bit done, but I love these bikes. If anyone ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013   #1

Default 1986 Yamaha XT 600 - Just registered on CycleChaos & need some sss

I picked up an 86 XT 600. It needs quite a bit done, but I love these bikes. If anyone can help with any of the following, I'd appreciate it.

Service Manual in PDF format (that's NOT the XT 600E manual). I mfound the Owners Manual......but, come on?

and, if getting the Service Manual isn't possible (which, I've had ZERO luck so far these last couple weeks of Web searching)......

then, an 'applicable' Electrical Schematic for the 1986 XT 600. I got this bike from an idiot. He did not care about motorcycles as most of the rest of us do. He screwed a LOT of things up. The wiring from the CDI to Magneto has it's plastic connections 'cut' off. The Regulator/Rectifier is missing. However, I did start the bike. The motor is in decent shape. I took it down to the frame, and painted it, the motor, etc......
it's coming along.......but, I want to make sure I connect the wires correctly for the time being.

Here's some photos......

cdi.jpg

cdi-.jpg

dscf2240.jpg

dscf2258.jpg

dscf2256.jpg

xt-600-magneto-wires.jpg

Which wires from Magneto, connect to CDI?

From Magneto - There are (2) Solid Colored White, (1) Solid Blue, (1) Solid Green, (1) Black w/ Red line, (1) Blue w/ White line, (1) Green w/ White line, and (1) Black w/ White line.

From CDI - There are (1) Solid Brown, (1) Solid Green, (1) Solid Red, (1) Solid Orange, (1) White w/ Red line, (1) White w/ Green line, (1) Black w/ White line, and (1) Solid White-ish/Light Blue-ish wire.
And, a PLASTIC CONNECTION with (3) wires: Solid Black, Solid Blue, and Blue w/ Yellow line.

I hope the pics show the detail enough........

Again, there was no Regulator/Rectifier. Correct me if I'm wrong.........I can ride the bike without a Reg/Rect, as I am not going to be using any lights (for the time being). The bike should run fine without the R/R, in this case? Right?

Items/Parts missing.....which I'm looking to buy (used), if possible,

* Both side plates
* Front and rear ‘original fenders’
* Left and right gas tank fairings
* Left and right passenger foot pegs & frame braces
* Air box filter and air box cover
* Battery and battery housing/cables/harness
* Chain support plastic and lower chain guide
* Left and right, front and rear turn signals
* Front brake caliper housing, brake line and reservoir, and front brake lever
* Both mirrors
* No handlebar grips
* Tail light
* License plate and plate bracket
* Headlight
* Skid plate
* Ignition and key
* Regulator / Rectifier
* Signals, lights, and starter switches
* Owners and/or Shop manual

I appreciate any/all help. It's awesome that we have this internet technology today. If it was in the not to distant past, I'd have to really use my brain BIGTIME!

Thanks,

Richard Burkholder
rlburkholder2010@gmail.com (if you wish to email me with any info)
rlburkholder is offline   Reply With Quote