Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

?

This is a discussion on ? within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; When I first started riding I rode an enduro (250xl). Looking to get another. Bike will see a lot of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006   #1

Default ?

When I first started riding I rode an enduro (250xl). Looking to get another.
Bike will see a lot of mud and carry a load at the same time. I also will be away from communities. So simple,dependable is a must. Any suggestions were to start looking. As bikes like the vstrom I dont think will hold up. Bike will see a lot of miles. Any thoughts would be help full as I have been away from enduros for a while. Been leaning to something like the Suzuki 400. Thanks in advance for your help.
Joseph F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #2

Default ?

IMO The zuki is the way to go, it is a reputable bike that will hold up to the beating that you say will be applied.
uticaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #3

Default ?

HOw about one of the bigger DR's KLR's etc. You will bre trading off a bit more 'streetability' for 'dirtability'; that what you're looking to do?
usernameforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #4

Default ?

The only prob. with the KLR650 is they are heavy and don't do well off road.
thistexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #5

Default ?

The KLR is a more than capable street bike, but gravel roads and fire roads are about the most off-roading you'll probably want to do on it. Single track trails are not a lot of fun on that big of a bike.
profirefighter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #6

Default ?

If you're goin' big, I recommend the Honda XR650L. I needed street-legal but I got it mainly for dirt...just aggressive trail riding, mostly. With minor and relatively cheap mods and accessories, it's turned out to be much better than I'd expected. I have a habit of taking it through places that normally, you wouldn't consider using a dual-purp and it really performs and handles quite well. I buried it in a mud bog once,:o that was really the only time the weight was an issue.
britney S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #7

Default ?

My first choice would be for the Honda XR650L, (Honda's have always been VERY reliable)and add an aftermarket larger fuel tank so you don't have to fill it as often(if you put on alot of miles this is a plus!) Second choice would be the Kawasaki KLR650, they come stock w/6 gal. tank, also pretty reliable. Would add an aftermarket pipe to give it a little more throttle response though as they do feel slightly bulkier than the Honda. Both the Honda and Kawi are liquid cooled and have good reputations(some KLRs have had a counterbalancer problem though) My last choice would be for the Suzuki DR650 as it has neither a large tank or liquid cooling. 400 may be too small for the #miles you want to put on(just my .02) Also I have personally had VERY bad luck with recent Suzuki (off-road)purchases and their factory customer service is(IMHO) pretty poor!(almost non-existant). Although if money were "no issue" I would change my first pick to a BMW F650 DAKAR!!!! $$$$
yamaha850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #8

Default ?

Both the Honda and Kawi are liquid cooled and have good reputations...

Actually, it's a common misconception, mostly due to the large air-scoops on the front of the tank but the XR650L is totally air-cooled....one reason I leaned toward the XR, in the first place. When I was researching my dual-purp, the BMW had a long waiting list and the KTMs were about as bad. It was cool though, I'd have picked the Honda anyway. As it turned out, the dealer had to search "the system" for quite awhile, to get mine too. The big DPs are gettin' popular, I guess.

* One thing about the Honda...they are known to have CDIs with a limited lifespan. Generally, they seem to go after several years of use. I believe the average price is around $110 to $130, depending on the parts guy. The day I picked up my bike, I ordered a spare and I carry it (well protected) in my Baja Pak. It's an easy-access, quick-change operation.
Eyewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #9

Default ?

You're right,my bad.Newer 650s ARE air cooled. The one I had was an older XL600R(why they changed the name to XR-L, I don't know) It was air cooled and VERY dependable, also sometimes very hard starting! There was an EXACT procedure, and if you didn't follow it to the letter your leg would fall off before it would fire. Probably due to the 2 carbs into single cyl setup (hard to keep both carbs clean,sync'd,and perfectly adjusted) Glad they got away from that! Once started it was a GREAT bike though. Thanks for keeping me on my toes kschilk. Have fun,Ride SAFE!!!!!!
Heinz M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #10

Default ?

I'm less than thrilled with the CV carb but thank God, there's only one of 'em.
CRocket is offline   Reply With Quote