Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Dual Purpose > Georgia DS conversion any input?

Georgia DS conversion any input?

This is a discussion on Georgia DS conversion any input? within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I am in N. Georgia and need to add a dualsport to my livery. There is a very short list ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006   #1

Default Georgia DS conversion any input?

I am in N. Georgia and need to add a dualsport to my livery. There is a very short list of bikes that fit my requirements: 450cc+, sub 260lb, serious off-road capabilities. I'd say kickstart available but that cuts the list even further.
They are currently BMW's G450X,and Beta 450 (nearest dealer somewhere in Mississippi)
So I was wondering if anybody from Georgia has had success in titling and tagging a converted dirtbike for dualsport use.
Dukeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #2

Hi,

I dualsport my 530 exc-r KTM, it's street legal from the factory. It's a racing enduro bike. You just need to uncork it, rejet and change the sprockets for the dirt and you have a great bike.

The bike is 251 lb, 48/50 hp and 510 cc. It has kick and electric start.

And there's Dealers in Georgia. (Maybe not near you though.)
Arun K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #3

Looked at KTM's website and maybe I missed it but did not see anything statiing "street Legal" on the EXC models for 2009
Yes, there is a KTM dealer not to far from me but they are also a Kawasaki dealer (first and foremost) so when I inquired about dualsports there they only pushed the KLR which I am not interested in or the supermotard again not interested in I have two sportbikes as it is. They also told me that '08s are no longer available but would make me a "killer" deal on a KLX250 or a KLR.
My local Gas Gas dealer said Gas Gas Certificate of Origin does not state "off road only" on them but was not sure if I could title one for the street. He is a very small shop but definatly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about his product so if titling is possible I just might be on a Gas Gas because he also invited me on a daylong ride.
Dukeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #4

Hi,

Thats too bad about the KTM dealer. The 450 and 530 exc-r, are street legal. So is the 690 Hard Enduro, which is a true dualsport bike. They all have turn signals, horns, etc. And the 09 exc-r's are here.

My Daughter has a KLX 250s. It's nice little bike. But not in the same class as the above KTM's.

Husqvarna's are also nice bikes, they are street legal. There's not a lot of dealers around though.

The Gas Gas guy sounds like Biker, not a bloody saleman. I don't know anything about them. I here they make good Trials bikes.

I don't know what the laws are in Georgia, but here you can put a Baja kit on pretty much any "off-road only" bike and make it street legal. You would think that dealers in your area would know the laws and what it would take, or if it could be done. To make a dirt bike legal.

Rick
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #5

This came to mind...maybe not enough 'dirt oriented' for your needs?
http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/suzuki-drz-400-sm-review
d3midway is offline   Reply With Quote