Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Just wondering....

This is a discussion on Just wondering.... within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Hey guys-n-gals, I'm headed to pick up my new 08 Honda XR650L on Saturday. I've owned a couple of DP ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006   #1

Default Just wondering....

Hey guys-n-gals,
I'm headed to pick up my new 08 Honda XR650L on Saturday. I've owned a couple of DP bikes here and there. Nothing above a 400. So didn't wonder to far from home.
Was wondering whats the most miles anyone has rode at one time? Say a trip of sorts. Of course ya gotta include the gas station visits.lol
Also I seen mentioned in a post about the bigger gas tanks. Any links, Pros, Cons all would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
WvChamp.
catart1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #2

I believe "Clark" makes a 6 gal. tank to fit your bike. (Kawasaki KLR650 comes stock with one) With the larger tank you can go approx 300+ miles w/o refueling! It adds more weight up high, wich effects handling(especially off-road) but is not that noticeable on surface streets. I haven't done any seriously long road trips on mine (I own other bikes more suitable for that). But I did put on almost 300 miles with my KLR 650 just yesterday alone!
kxholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #3

Sup Jag,
Welp had her a few months now.
Consistanly 90-94 miles till Reserve. lol
But man what a ride. My Truck was cryin'.
Hey, I seen on here somewhere (can't find again) a link for a Rear Luggage Rack for my bike...Any ideas?
Thanks n advance,
WvChamp
Old 02-28-2006   #4

I just got mine at the end of April and got laid-up for the season, the end of Sep. so I didn't gat alot of time in. I don't do much road riding, especially since I put the knobbys on but the first weekend I had it, I did a little over 300 miles at one shot (2 stops for gas). With stock gearing, I was gettin' 65 mpg easy but I dropped to a 13 tooth in the front and now I get about 45-50 mpg. You can dump about 10-15 lbs. easy, by tossin' the smog pump and passenger pegs, if you don't need 'em. I thought about goin' to a plastic tank, more for the weight savings than the extra range but after pricing them, I decided to deal with stock for awhile.
The Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5

Found link for the Rack. A little smaller than some others. But all I'll ever need.
Enjoy,
WvChamp
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XR-650L-Rear-Utility-Rack-Honda--XR650L-_W0QQitemZ170278802043QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2008111 3?IMSfp=TL0811131210004r12912#ShippingPayment
Old 03-01-2006   #6

I had a 1979 KTM I used to race in 100 mile enduros here in Michigan. (I'm 54 now). It was more getting your bike street legal than getting it race ready!
We were required to have plates, horns, I remember. Got lousy gas mileage. :D I had a big bore (big back then) 400cc I believe. Seems like I remember having to refuel twice. Had the bigger tank on it, can't remember if it was 4-5 gallons. Oh well...

Used to race a IT400D Yamaha, that was a 1974 model I think. And then later on bought a IT400G. Really, really liked my IT's, especially low speed obstacle rides. My brother had a later model than my G, but I don't remember which one it was. I remember going to a Yamaha shop in Pontiac Mi, and throwing a leg over what was the last model IT they made. Don't remember the model letter. But boy was it tall and had outrageous suspension travel! I didn't care for it as much as the early ones. I felt, and still feel, a good enduro bike has to have good ground clearance, but needs a lower center of gravity. Gotta have a good adjustable suspension to pull that off. I also like a wide range gear box, rather than a close range (more like the MXers of my day).

Haven't ridden in maybe 30 years or so. So I ain't tellin' anybody how to do anything! :) Just sayin' from my experience.
L8r, Juggler!
Paul S is offline   Reply With Quote